Forums

This topic is locked

Vertical Menu Help

Posted 19 Jul 2009 22:52:00
has voted
19 Jul 2009 22:52:00 Dan Rowson posted:
I'm the webmaster for a 100+ page website and I am currently trying to relaunch it. I would like a nice vertical flyout menu or vertical tree menu but my coding isnt up to scratch - I've looked at a few software packages that I could use but one of the unique factors of this menu is that it needs to appear on every page of the site and therefore update every page whenever I update a menu item. Ideally I would rather not re-upload the entire site whenever I have to change a menu item.

Can anyone advise me as the best way of doing this?? Much appreciated.

Replies

Replied 20 Jul 2009 12:36:27
20 Jul 2009 12:36:27 Patrick Julicher replied:
Hi Dan,

Do you want the menu to be static or dynamic? Do you want it to be javascript, dhtml or completely CSS based? What language to you use: ASP, ASP.NET, PHP?

What I do on our website is create a seperate menu file named menu.asp and we include this page on all other pages. If I want to update the menu, I only have to edit the manu page. When that page is uploaded, all other pages have the updated menu!

Kind regards, Patrick
Replied 20 Jul 2009 21:55:00
20 Jul 2009 21:55:00 Dan Rowson replied:
Hi mate - I have no preference really as to how it is done but yours sounds ideal...how do I include the menu.asp page...do you use frames??
Replied 28 Jul 2009 10:53:21
28 Jul 2009 10:53:21 Patrick Julicher replied:
Hi Dan,

You can include another page in another by adding the code below. In case of a file called menu.asp in the same folder it would say:

<!--#include file="menu.asp"-->

Good luck. If there are any other question just ask!

Kind regards, Patrick

Reply to this topic