Forums

This topic is locked

How to make Grid command or save grid preferences

Posted 02 Aug 2009 16:50:22
has voted
02 Aug 2009 16:50:22 Dave Doof posted:
Hi there,

long time user of macromedia / adobe suite with high use of fireworks

Have finally got around to installing CS4, and its all very nice, but having trouble setting up the grid as a command.

Previously in CS3, one could set the grid size via the drop down. But now one has to go to preferences to change the grid size.

I used to use a command to change the grid size to cut down on workflow in CS3, but now I can't save the command steps in CS4 as they don't appear in the history panel.

Anyone know how to save a command or change the preferences so that I can define something other than the standard (and painful) 36x36 grid? I only want a 10x10 grid *sigh.

Thanks
Dave

Replies

Replied 02 Aug 2009 20:59:30
02 Aug 2009 20:59:30 Patrick Julicher replied:
Hi Dave,

It seems that in Fireworks CS4 there is no way to save the gris to another default value. At least I cannot find any.......

Kind regards, Patrick
Replied 03 Aug 2009 08:38:24
03 Aug 2009 08:38:24 Dave Doof replied:
Hey Patrick,

The default value has always been 36x36 and in CS3 and previous versions of fireworks, you could control the grid from view> grid> edit grid

Now you can't even do that!

You can show and hide grid details as required in the CS4 with the window toolbar to the right of the screen under window>image editing > view options or ctrl+alt+g

I don't know who the muppet was who defined the options of the menu bars but they obviously have no clue on features that are valuable to users. 7 years of using this product and no addition of saving the default grid size... meh.

Anyhoo, I did receive a reply on the adobe support from David Hogue (god bless the guy!)

QuoteHere is a command to create a 10x10 grid. Copy the following four lines of code and put them in a simple text file, save it, then rename it something like 10x10_grid.jsf. It needs to have the .jsf file extension for Fireworks to understand it.

fw.getDocumentDOM().setGridSize({x:10, y:10});
fw.getDocumentDOM().setGridColor("#cccccc");
fw.getDocumentDOM().setShowGrid(true);
fw.getDocumentDOM().setSnapToGrid(true); 

Put the file in the Commands folder of your personal Fireworks settings. On a Windows XP PC this should be something like:

C:\Documents and Settings\<USERNAME>\Application Data\Adobe\Fireworks CS4\Commands

The next time you start Fireworks it will appear in the bottom section of the Commands list from the main menu. You can edit each line of the command to change the grid size, grid color, and whether or not to show the grid and use snap to grid.

Hope this helps.

Of note for Vista the directory is:
C:\Users\<Username>AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Fireworks CS4\Commands

And it works a charm.

Actually I did think of a way to do it before I went to bed last night.
Create command in CS3, copy .jsf file to CS4. I may try it later and see if it works.

Damn you adobe for taking away easy grid change in the View drop down and not allowing command history to be used for command scripts!

Happy Dave now

Edited by - Dave Doof on 03 Aug 2009  08:40:15
Replied 03 Aug 2009 09:50:04
03 Aug 2009 09:50:04 Patrick Julicher replied:
Hi happy Dave,

Glad to hear that Adobe came up with a solution.

Kind regards, Patrick
This reply was removed on 1/24/2012 9:43:21 AM.
See the changelog
This reply was removed on 3/20/2012 9:03:42 AM.
See the changelog
This reply was removed on 3/20/2012 9:03:35 AM.
See the changelog
This reply was removed on 4/25/2012 12:42:37 PM.
See the changelog
This reply was removed on 5/21/2012 10:00:04 AM.
See the changelog
Replied 10 Nov 2012 00:58:43
10 Nov 2012 00:58:43 Sophiaarp ripeed replied:
Click on the Start button if you have Windows XP. If you have Windows Vista, click the Windows icon that resides in the lower left corner of your computer screen.
click for more
Replied 31 Jan 2013 05:39:53
31 Jan 2013 05:39:53 lin sha replied:
But it did not come, the living word; in the silence something died in John, andsomething came alive [b]Cheap Jeremy Scott[/b]. It came to him that he must testify: his tongue only could bear witness tothe wonders he had seen [b]Christian Louboutin Homme[/b]. And he remembered, suddenly, the text of a sermon he had once heardhis father preach [b]Louis Vuitton Soldes[/b]. And he opened his mouth, fee.
Replied 31 Jan 2013 05:43:23
31 Jan 2013 05:43:23 lin sha replied:
day night, and told us to pray, and He’dwork a mighty wonder in our midst? And He done moved—hallelujah—He done troubledeverybody’s mind [b]Louboutin Homme[/b] [b]Louboutin Homme[/b].’
  ‘I just tell you,’ said Sister McCandless, ‘all you got to do is listen to the Lord; He’ll leadyou right every time; He’ll move every time [b]Sacs Louis Vuitton Pas Cher[/b]. Can’t nobod.

Reply to this topic