Universal CSS Navigation Menu Support Product Page

Answered

Not quite universal

Asked 30 Jan 2010 07:31:34
has this question
30 Jan 2010 07:31:34 Greta Garberini posted:
  • How to create dynamic submenus, if the main-menu is dynamic as well? It seems that only the first level is working. If no level2 is possible whats the use of a menu, then?
  • No vertical push down for subs like effects in spry accordions
  • css - adjustments is not hassle-free due to some fixed images used for layout
  • after some editing one cannot bring back the css in its original state. It needs deleting the whole branch
  • If a layout is changed, the former is not removed from the server which can create quite some messy file - overhead.
  • The 13 styles look better but cannot be easy adjusted
  • quite expensive for 13, partly similar layouts. I had expected at least double as many.
  • Setup - logic is very well, though. Easy to use if static menus are preferred.
  • Manual covers most issues.
  • Nice idea of using icons next to menu entries (as an option)

Replies

Replied 30 Jan 2010 16:23:59
30 Jan 2010 16:23:59 George Petrov replied:
Hi Richard,

Thank you for your feedback! I'm sure we can use your findings for to improve our Universal CSS Navigation Menu in the future updates.

As for the dynamic submenus - you can easily create a two level dynamic menus - even from the main level. Its like shown in this video: www.dmxzone.com/go?17295

Also as for the changing the CSS styles - you should always derive your own styles from the standard ones - and never change the standard ones directly as indeed those might be changed in the future updates.

We have a few FAQs about how you can do that at:
www.dmxzone.com/index?7/1028

Keep up the good feedback and even if you found something is not clear enough or have a good showcase - you can always post it on DMXzone!

Greetings,
George
Replied 11 Feb 2010 11:51:04
11 Feb 2010 11:51:04 Greta Garberini replied:
Hi George,
thank you for your reply. And for appreciating my suggestions.
I watched the movie for the dynamic menus. I think its not very common to use database table for menus as shown in the example. I'd prefer something like this:

+------------------------------------+
| auto_ID | parent_ID | name         |
+---------+-----------+--------------+
|1        |0          | top_menu1    |
|2        |0          | top_menu2    |
|3        |0          | top_menu3    |
|4        |1          | sub_main_1_1 |
|5        |1          | sub_main_1_2 |
|6        |2          | sub_main_2_1 |
|.....    |.....      | .....        |
+---------+-----------+--------------+

In this model you are flexible to add as many entries as you wish. The id can always be used as a parent for further sub-menus. This makes it easy to maintain menu entries even when they might change later and its easy to add deeper branches (eg a third level)
best wishes
(btw, my name is Reinhard)

Edited by - Reinhard Czwiertnia on 11 Feb 2010  11:52:57

Reply to this topic