Forums

This topic is locked

Request for Help - I'm Stuck!

Posted 25 May 2010 00:57:03
has voted
25 May 2010 00:57:03 Mark Taylor posted:
I have 2 pages, namely main.html and list.php The Main Pageincludes the following code and consists of a dropdown that i want to pull some database records into by calling the function fillCategory contained in list.php

Content on main.html

<!doctype html public "-//w3c//dtd html 3.2//en">
<html>
<head>
<title>Page Title</title>
<script language="javascript" src="list.php"></script>
</head>
<body bgcolor="#ffffff" text="#000000" link="#0000ff" vlink="#800080" alink="#ff0000" onload="fillCategory();">
<FORM name="drop_list" action="yourpage.php" method="POST" >
<SELECT NAME="Category" >
<Option value="">Category</option>
</SELECT>&nbsp;
</form>
</body>
</html>

Content of list.php

<?php

require_once('mysqli_connect.php');
echo "
function fillCategory(
";

$q="select * from category";

echo mysqli_error($dbc);

$r=@mysqli_query($dbc,$q);

while($row=mysqli_fetch_array($r,MYSQLI_ASSOC)){
echo "addOption(document.drop_list.Category, '$row[cat_id]', '$row[category]');";
}

?>

I know that records are being pulled from the MySQL database since when i view 127.0.0.1/list.php i can see the following diplayed on the page:

function fillCategory( addOption(document.drop_list.Category, '1', 'Sport');addOption(document.drop_list.Category, '2', 'Music');addOption(document.drop_list.Category, '3', 'Art');

which are the contents (Sport, Music, Art) that i'd like to appear in my dropdown. However, i suspect that i shouldn't see the above being displayed in list.php Instead, it should probably be passed to main.html "unseen". Can anyone point out the probable error in my syntax. I can provide more detail on the database structure if it will help.

Thanks,
Mark

Replies

Replied 28 May 2010 12:12:10
28 May 2010 12:12:10 Alan C replied:
I think there's a mismatch here in the technologies, php is serverside, so everything it does happens on the server before the html is served, whereas javascript is clientside and doesn't begin doing anything until after the html/javascript has been delivered to the browser. You would use javascript if you wanted to modify the dropdown AFTER it had been rendered in the browser.

I don't think you need the script tag, what you're saying with that is that there's some javascript to execute and it's in the file list.php, but list.php contains php not javascript. The two technologies can't be mixed like this.

You can pull the records from the database and write them directly into the dropdown without any reference to javascript.

Hope that helps.
Replied 06 Jan 2011 11:21:05
06 Jan 2011 11:21:05 Miroslav Zografski replied:
Hello ,

Mark can use both files. However he needs to include the list.php in the main.php. But really that does not worth it.
better to have the sql select on the main.php and populate a <option></option> tags with it.

Or if Mark uses DW he can always have a dynamically generated Select created by the program.

Regards,
This reply was removed on 3/30/2012 10:49:08 AM.
See the changelog
This reply was removed on 4/2/2012 8:51:13 AM.
See the changelog
Replied 03 May 2012 11:47:49
03 May 2012 11:47:49 Mustafa Balcı replied:
Thanks

Reply to this topic