Forums

PHP

This topic is locked

mail

Posted 13 Aug 2001 20:44:06
has voted
13 Aug 2001 20:44:06 Keith Slater posted:
OK Im back to this mail thing. Thanks for all the help I've got so far. I've only got 2 pieces missing. One is this mail thing and the other is the live navigation. I'm thinking the php.ini mail isnt configured right. Do you have to have mail servers set up on the comp that has the php files? We got a huge network, Im not sure of how all of it runs. What I need to know is what do the mail servers need to do so that the PHP is able to use them?

thanks again

Keith Slater

Replies

Replied 13 Aug 2001 22:19:39
13 Aug 2001 22:19:39 Tim Green replied:
You are right in your assumption that the Server running PHP must also be configured to use a Mail Server. There are ways to actually emulate the SMTP protocol without using this, but to be honest, you are talking a lot of programming for such a small feature.

If your Network Administrator is amenable I would suggest that you contact them and attempt to get the settings from them.

If it is a UNIX/Linux based system then you need to ask the administrator for the path to SendMail, and then enter this in the relative section in the php.ini

I think (but I could be wrong) that for an NT based server you just need to enter the IP or hostname for the Outgoing (SMTP) mail server... though on this point I could be wrong.

I should also add, that if you want to double check any of this then read throught the php.ini, as this file is well-commented it will give you plenty of clues as to what you need to ask for, and where to enter the relevant values.

Tim Green

Extension & PHP TalkZone Manager
<font size=1>-------------------------------------------
<i>Please read the Forum FAQ before posting
a question to this TalkZone.</i>
-------------------------------------------
www.UDzone.com : A dynamic Dreamweaver,
Ultradev and Fireworks site for developers
by developers.
-------------------------------------------</font id=size1>

Edited by - rawveg on 08/13/2001 22:21:13

Reply to this topic