Forums

This topic is locked

MS Accesss to MySql Converter

Posted 04 Sep 2001 15:04:10
has voted
04 Sep 2001 15:04:10 Russell Marshall posted:
I am currently trialing UD4 and think it is an awesome package.
The problem I have is that my ISP does not support *.mdb but does support MySQL.

Can I convert my current legacy *.mdb's to MySQL

Best Regards

Russell

Replies

Replied 05 Sep 2001 14:05:21
05 Sep 2001 14:05:21 Tim Green replied:
There are ways to do this using MyODBC, and also by using commercial 3rd party tools.

Unfortunately, none of these methods are perfect and can cause a lot of headaches, as usually (in my experience) these tools do not correctly convert every aspect of your DB.

My advice to you would be to do the following :-

In Access Export all of your data from each table as separate CSV (Comma Separated Values) files.

When you have done this download the freeware MySQL Front (www.mysqlfront.de), and use this tools to rebuild all of your tables from scratch mimicing your Access table layout, and using the native MySQL column types, remembering to create your indexed/unique/autonumber fields as necessary.

Once this process is complete, then you can directly import your CSV data files into the relevant tables.

The only caveat that you have to be aware of is that Date/Time access fields format the data in a way that is incompatable with the MySQL TIMESTAMP field, so if you have any Date/Time fields you will have to experiment with them to get the data in a format that stores correctly.

Unfortunately there is no real substitute (yet) for creating the DB from scratch. It is by far the most reliable method.

Hope this helps

Tim Green

Extension & PHP TalkZone Manager
<font size=1>-------------------------------------------
<i>Please read the Forum FAQ before posting
a question to this TalkZone.</i>
-------------------------------------------
www.UDzone.com : A dynamic Dreamweaver,
Ultradev and Fireworks site for developers
by developers.
-------------------------------------------</font id=size1>
Replied 12 Sep 2001 12:59:52
12 Sep 2001 12:59:52 Fred Caris replied:
I've used the convertor that is in DBTools several times and it does a good job most of the time.

Give it a try :

dbtools.vila.bol.com.br/download.htm

Fred Caris

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
I am currently trialing UD4 and think it is an awesome package.
The problem I have is that my ISP does not support *.mdb but does support MySQL.

Can I convert my current legacy *.mdb's to MySQL

Best Regards

Russell

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size=2 id=quote>
Replied 03 Oct 2001 17:49:51
03 Oct 2001 17:49:51 Bill Aten replied:
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
There are ways to do this using MyODBC, and also by using commercial 3rd party tools.

Unfortunately, none of these methods are perfect and can cause a lot of headaches, as usually (in my experience) these tools do not correctly convert every aspect of your DB.

My advice to you would be to do the following :-

In Access Export all of your data from each table as separate CSV (Comma Separated Values) files.

When you have done this download the freeware MySQL Front (www.mysqlfront.de), and use this tools to rebuild all of your tables from scratch mimicing your Access table layout, and using the native MySQL column types, remembering to create your indexed/unique/autonumber fields as necessary.

Once this process is complete, then you can directly import your CSV data files into the relevant tables.

The only caveat that you have to be aware of is that Date/Time access fields format the data in a way that is incompatable with the MySQL TIMESTAMP field, so if you have any Date/Time fields you will have to experiment with them to get the data in a format that stores correctly.

Unfortunately there is no real substitute (yet) for creating the DB from scratch. It is by far the most reliable method.

Hope this helps

Tim Green

Extension & PHP TalkZone Manager
<font size=1>-------------------------------------------
<i>Please read the Forum FAQ before posting
a question to this TalkZone.</i>
-------------------------------------------
www.UDzone.com : A dynamic Dreamweaver,
Ultradev and Fireworks site for developers
by developers.
-------------------------------------------</font id=size1>
<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size=2 id=quote>

CharlieB
Replied 03 Oct 2001 17:52:14
03 Oct 2001 17:52:14 Bill Aten replied:

OK, I've used AWK to fix the dates. Now, how do I save the UD date of 1/2/00 to MySQL's 2000-01-02 requirement?

CharlieB

Reply to this topic