Layer Genie Support Product Page

This topic is locked
This topic was archived

first tutorial

Asked 21 Mar 2006 16:39:15
has this question
21 Mar 2006 16:39:15 Jeff Judice posted:
horizontal navigation menu with sub menu

i follow along well and test my app, the drop down menu is on the bar. even though i specify the area is on hte middle od th page with layer properties. how do i control the location of the drop down additionally the first menu is visible the selected menu is layer 4.

this can be sen at
www.jeff.desertwebsolutions.com/menutest/testmenu.htm

Replies

Replied 21 Mar 2006 17:38:54
21 Mar 2006 17:38:54 Marja Ribbers-de Vroed replied:
A quote from your page:
<pre id=code><font face=courier size=2 id=code>&lt;a onclick="dmxFLG1('Layer4',1,1,'Layer4',2,'Layer1',0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0)" href="javascript:;"&gt;test layer 1&lt;/a&gt;</font id=code></pre id=code>
You've specified here that Layer4 is a submenu/sublayer of Layer4... a circular reference which will give unpredictable results.

Another quote:
<pre id=code><font face=courier size=2 id=code>&lt;img height=32 src="" width=99 onload="dmxFLG1('Layer1',1,1,'',2,'Image2',1,0,0,2,10,10,0,0,1,2,1,0,0)" border=0 name=Image2&gt;</font id=code></pre id=code>
You've specified here that the Layer1 should be displayed relative to Image2 with no offset, which means that the top left corner of Layer1 will be at the same spot as the top left corner of Image2.

Hope this helps.

--
Marja de Vroed
www.clubwebware.nl
www.prikhetop.nl
www.flevooware.nl/dreamweaver/
Replied 21 Mar 2006 21:09:45
21 Mar 2006 21:09:45 Jeff Judice replied:
well

please don't take this the wrong way, but if i understood that line of code i would not be here .... i could write my own extensions... i live in the world world of dreawweaver and want to use layer genie.. beacuse it does the coding for me. so ias i follow the tutorial... these are the results... is theree re some part that seems unclear.. i positined the laer what i believed to open lower. where do i specify that where is should open ?
Replied 21 Mar 2006 21:14:52
21 Mar 2006 21:14:52 Jeff Judice replied:
ok i figured out how to place the locations... but why does it still show right when i start up the menu... check it out in the previous link

thansk
jeff
Replied 21 Mar 2006 22:52:07
21 Mar 2006 22:52:07 Marja Ribbers-de Vroed replied:
Another quote from your page:
<pre id=code><font face=courier size=2 id=code>&lt;img src="file:///D|/buttons/buttons/CuteCap/CuteCapDa3.gif" name="Image2" width="99" height="32" border="0" onload="dmxFLG1('Layer1',1,1,'',2,'Image2',1,300,300,2,10,10,0,0,1,2,1,0,0)"&gt;</font id=code></pre id=code>
You've specified the onLoad event for the IMG as the trigger to show Layer1. And as its display location, you've specified that it should appear 300 pixels to the right and 300 pixels below the top left corner of Image2. That implies that Layer1 is displayed somewhere in the middle of the browser window.
By the way, Image2 is only loaded when moving the mouse over it, when the swapping takes place, because its original filepath still points to a location on your local computer.

You do not need to know how to read that complex JavaScript call Layer Genie creates for you, but you do need to learn how to use the Layer Genie interface dialogs to create the desired effects.

Extensions can help you create more advanced website features than what you would be able to do without them, but they can't 'auto-magically' write you're page for you.
You do need to have reasonable understanding of how HTML and CSS work to put each extension to work to do what it was meant to do.
We're here to help you use our extensions, but we're not here to help you learn HTML or learn how to use Dreamweaver.

--
Marja de Vroed
www.clubwebware.nl
www.prikhetop.nl

Edited by - MarjaR on 21 Mar 2006 22:53:34
Replied 22 Mar 2006 05:33:51
22 Mar 2006 05:33:51 Jeff Judice replied:
ok point made..please tranlsate to layer genie.. actions.. for example if i have a positioning issue write goto the first screen
in the layer genie screen....

what is this event at the end of the file you say "on event -onmouseover... i tried the second tutorial.. the same results.. my layer show then after the 2 as
layer shows for the 2 seconds then foreve disappears...

thanks
jeff
Replied 22 Mar 2006 07:25:37
22 Mar 2006 07:25:37 Jeff Judice replied:
OK HERE IT IS... WWW.JEFF.DESERTWEBSOLUTIONS.COM/MENUTEST/TEST45.HTM

i still have the layer 1 loding on the inital page .. it should not be seen until i rollover the image.. how can i fix this..?

jeff
Replied 22 Mar 2006 09:07:51
22 Mar 2006 09:07:51 Marja Ribbers-de Vroed replied:
The way it is now, the Layer Genie behavior is applied to the onLoad evento of the IMG tag, which means that the action is triggered when the image is loaded.
Evidently that would be at initial page loading and, as you've also use an image swap which loads the swapping image, again on mouseover.
To change that you can do the following:
<ul><li>in Dreamweaver, go into Design View for your page</li><li>click on button 2 to select it</li><li>in the Behaviors panel on the right side of the Dreamweaver screen, you will see Layer Genie listed and you can see there that it is applied to onLoad. Select (onMouseOver) from that list instead of onLoad.</li><li>save and test your page</li></ul>
Layer1 should now only be visible when you move the mouse over button 2

The notation (onMouseOver) means that in effect the Layer Genie behavior should not directly be applied to the IMG tag itself, but rather to a wrapping 'null' link. The onMouseOver event for the IMG tag is not reliably supported across browsers.

Edited by - MarjaR on 22 Mar 2006 09:18:21
Replied 22 Mar 2006 15:50:44
22 Mar 2006 15:50:44 Jeff Judice replied:
hello,

very cool.... that explains the last statement that you use... "select the even, i wasn't sure what to apply it to... thanks for
your patience.. tonight i will work on the fly out submenu from one of the choices....why is it that i cannot change the link
color in the layer? i can change the background but icannot change the font color ?

thansk
jeff
Replied 22 Mar 2006 16:25:09
22 Mar 2006 16:25:09 Marja Ribbers-de Vroed replied:
Colors of texts and links etc. are not influenced by Layer Genie.
That's controlled by CSS.

--
Marja de Vroed
www.clubwebware.nl
www.prikhetop.nl
Replied 22 Mar 2006 16:35:07
22 Mar 2006 16:35:07 Jeff Judice replied:
got it ... thansk

i'll check it later... its "off to work i go hi ho !"
Replied 23 Mar 2006 07:41:53
23 Mar 2006 07:41:53 Jeff Judice replied:
ok, i got the submenu to fly ! i know that if it flies out close san the left value is 200.. i can "jump" to the flyout and select
the link. however, what if i want to place the flyout away from it , like in the example..

www.jeff.desertwebsolutions.com/menutest/test45.htm

is this possible to fix ?

as you notice i cannot select the link in the submenu...

however in the following link.. it works i spec'd 100 in the left option

www.jeff.desertwebsolutions.com/menutest/test46.htm

thanks
Replied 23 Mar 2006 09:02:03
23 Mar 2006 09:02:03 Marja Ribbers-de Vroed replied:
I'm sorry, but I don't see a difference between these 2 test pages.
And I don't understand what you're asking. Can you elaborate?

--
Marja de Vroed
www.clubwebware.nl
www.prikhetop.nl
Replied 23 Mar 2006 16:00:58
23 Mar 2006 16:00:58 Jeff Judice replied:
in the menu test46 when i open the choices menu and goto choice 4 my submenu opens and i can slide my mouse to
select test1 on the submenu.

in the menu test45 when i open the choices menu and goto choice 4 the submenu opens adn i cannot move my mouse over
to it to select test1 one on the submenu...

check it out
thanks
Replied 23 Mar 2006 16:04:57
23 Mar 2006 16:04:57 Marja Ribbers-de Vroed replied:

Test 45 does not work for you because of the distance between the two layers.
When you move the mouse off the 1st layer to the second, you pass 'white space' which fires the onMouseOut event which hides triggers the 'hide' action for Layer Genie.

And what's wrong with Test46?

--
Marja de Vroed
www.clubwebware.nl
www.prikhetop.nl

Edited by - MarjaR on 23 Mar 2006 16:05:37
Replied 23 Mar 2006 16:26:09
23 Mar 2006 16:26:09 Jeff Judice replied:
test 46 is great... i know why test45 is not working, my q is can it be set so i can have a flyout menu located say
about 4 inches down on a page... so i can go to it and select it...

also, i have a link right on my main page, it has no image... i know that i have to anchor to something, what is the fucntion of "named a tag" i want to do a flyout from just a normal link on a page such as "links" layer 1 is the layer i want ot flyout... but ihave another layer to anchor or an image...

thanks

Edited by - jjudice on 23 Mar 2006 16:32:28
Replied 23 Mar 2006 16:48:30
23 Mar 2006 16:48:30 Marja Ribbers-de Vroed replied:
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
test 46 is great... i know why test45 is not working, my q is can it be set so i can have a flyout menu located say
about 4 inches down on a page... so i can go to it and select it...

also, i have a link right on my main page, it has no image... i know that i have to anchor to something, what is the fucntion of "named a tag" i want to do a flyout from just a normal link on a page such as "links" layer 1 is the layer i want ot flyout... but ihave another layer to anchor or an image...

thanks

Edited by - jjudice on 23 Mar 2006 16:32:28
<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size=2 id=quote>
A submenu needs to have some overlap with its parent menulayers, otherwise it's not going to work.

The 'named A tag' can be use as the positioning anchor for the layers.
If you first enter a unique value for the 'name' attribute of the text link that serves as the trigger for Layer Genie, then you can select that link in the Layer Genie dialogs as the anchor.

--
Marja de Vroed
www.clubwebware.nl
www.prikhetop.nl
Replied 23 Mar 2006 16:58:00
23 Mar 2006 16:58:00 Jeff Judice replied:
ok, understood...

of to work..
thanks again..
jeff
Replied 24 Mar 2006 03:38:41
24 Mar 2006 03:38:41 Jeff Judice replied:
ok,, i am looking for the name attribute foir the link but i do not see wher it is...
i know how to set an anchor , however i think this is not what you are talking about..
so i am highlighting the word links and looking in properties ..
thansk
jeff
Replied 24 Mar 2006 10:00:44
24 Mar 2006 10:00:44 Marja Ribbers-de Vroed replied:
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
ok,, i am looking for the name attribute foir the link but i do not see wher it is...
i know how to set an anchor , however i think this is not what you are talking about..
so i am highlighting the word links and looking in properties ..
thansk
jeff
<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size=2 id=quote>
I think the 'name' attribute for an A tag can't be set from the Properties panel.
You may have to go into Code View and just type it in.

--
Marja de Vroed
www.clubwebware.nl
www.prikhetop.nl
Replied 28 Mar 2006 15:57:27
28 Mar 2006 15:57:27 Jeff Judice replied:
hello,

i seem to be having a problem with screen size. the following link is the example. www.pshog.desertwebsolutions.com

if my screen size is 1280 x 768 i connot see the menu but if i make it 1280 x 1024 i can see it just fine. the rest of the page
resizes accordingly but the genie layer does not. would persistant layer work here ? can i make flyouts with it, or is there a simpler soulutions.
jeff
Replied 28 Mar 2006 16:05:27
28 Mar 2006 16:05:27 Marja Ribbers-de Vroed replied:
hello,

i seem to be having a problem with screen size. the following link is the example. www.pshog.desertwebsolutions.com

if my screen size is 1280 x 768 i connot see the menu but if i make it 1280 x 1024 i can see it just fine. the rest of the page
resizes accordingly but the genie layer does not. would persistant layer work here ? can i make flyouts with it, or is there a simpler soulutions.
jeff
I don't see a menu at all on that URL.

--
Marja de Vroed
www.clubwebware.nl
www.prikhetop.nl
Replied 28 Mar 2006 16:11:49
28 Mar 2006 16:11:49 Jeff Judice replied:
i'm sorry .. click on the logo or www.pshog.desertwebsolutions.com/menupage.htm rollover the logo and the menu should
popup on the left
jeff
Replied 28 Mar 2006 16:43:10
28 Mar 2006 16:43:10 Marja Ribbers-de Vroed replied:
i'm sorry .. click on the logo or www.pshog.desertwebsolutions.com/menupage.htm rollover the logo and the menu should
popup on the left
jeff
Simple calculation:
You're displaying the menu 475 pixels to the left of Image4.
If the screen is set to a small size, and Image4 is is the center of the window, then 475 pixels to the left of that means that the menu won't be in view.

Set the menu to be displayed at a fixed position, not relative to Image4.

--
Marja de Vroed
www.clubwebware.nl
www.prikhetop.nl
Replied 28 Mar 2006 17:04:10
28 Mar 2006 17:04:10 Jeff Judice replied:
ok, i belive i did so, check out ... however when the window is small the menu opens on the logo itself... makning it difucult
to see... is this what you had in mind..? and how about the screen res issue... it seems the menu should be consistant with the screen res the smaller the res the smaller the pixels... did that make sense.... no it didnt, if the res is set to small -475 may not be in the pixel range... seems the persistan layer may be the way to go... so no matter what, the layer will be in the same spot no matter what the size or res . however can it be done?
jeff

Edited by - jjudice on 28 Mar 2006 17:17:39
Replied 28 Mar 2006 17:17:17
28 Mar 2006 17:17:17 Marja Ribbers-de Vroed replied:
ok, i belive i did so, check out ... however when the window is small the menu opens on the logo itself... makning it difucult
to see... is this what you had in mind..?
jeff
It's your design not mine, so I have nothing in mind for it.
I'm just trying to help you and advise you where possible and needed.

BTW, the fact that I couldn't find the menu in the first place is not a good sign. Lots of other people won't find it either.
It's always best to have the toplevel navigation visible at all times.

--
Marja de Vroed
www.clubwebware.nl
www.prikhetop.nl

Reply to this topic