Reported 22 Jul 2008 23:02:55
has this problem
22 Jul 2008 23:02:55 Graig McHendrie posted:
Hi -
I've run into another little problem with the new 1.0.4 version of css
Image Gallery. My old pages were working fine after the update, but I
just created a brand new page with an Image Gallery, and when I went to
display it, I'd get the correct framework, but then just the little
rotating circle indicating the images were loading, but no images at all.

To make a long story short, I finally looked at the html for the page
and saw that the path to the image files had not been constructed
properly. In my old pages, the path was something like:

src="../css_images/pic_name.jpg" ....

but in the newly created page it is this:

src="../../../../../../graig/AA_My_Data/Web/gnjmch.info/shop/css_images/pic_name.jpg" ...

which certainly won't work on the server.

If I manually correct the paths, save the file, and send it to the server, it
then works fine.

As part of trouble shooting the problem, I created a plain html page,
inserted the same images by just dragging them from the file display in DW
on to the page, and it worked fine. And as I look at the html for it, the
path is just "../css_images/....", which leads me to conclude that the problem
isn't a setting in DW.

Is there something I can do to make CSS Image Gallery create the correct
path that will work on the server? I thought maybe the destination path
string used in the Image Gallery creation window might influence this, but
the only string that it will accept is the one derived by browsing,
which is a long, absolute pathname.

Graig

Replies

Replied 23 Jul 2008 14:16:53
23 Jul 2008 14:16:53 Miroslav Zografski replied:
Hi Graig,

Try to create a new CSS Image Gallery in a new html page inside same site.

Regards,

M.Zografski

-----------------------------------
DMXZone.com Support Team
Replied 23 Jul 2008 17:03:58
23 Jul 2008 17:03:58 Graig McHendrie replied:
Miroslav -

I don't understand your suggestion. That's exactly what I've been doing that leads to the problem. Here are the steps I do from the notes I created for myself some time ago:

Creating a CSS Image Galery Web Page

Tools: Dreamweaver and the CSS Gallery extension from DMXZone

1. Put a copy of the photographs into the desired folder in the web tree.
E.g., "C:\Users\graig\AA_My_Data\Web\gnjmch.info\shop\Projects\SourceImages\cssig.aaaaaa"
Put the "aaa" part in the Clipboard

2. Open Dreamweaver

3. Create an empty, blank .html page

4. Set the Title E.G.,
gnjmch - Shop - Projects - aaaaaaa aaa aaaa
and save at the desired location. E.g.:
"C:\Users\graig\AA_My_Data\Web\gnjmch.info\shop\Projects\Projects.aaaaaaaa.html"

5. Click on the CSS Gallery icon (sunflower)

6. Set the Gallery name: EG: cssaaaaaaaaaaa

7. Set the destination folder. A sub-folder named "thumbs" will be created
in this folder for the thumbnails.

8. Set the source folder.

9. Turn on resizing to 640x480.

10. Create the Gallery

11. Set the Title and Description for images as desired, using the ">>" button to advance through the set.
Be careful not to include a newline.

12. Save the file.

13. Upload and select dependant files.

14. Try it out
Replied 23 Jul 2008 18:39:16
23 Jul 2008 18:39:16 Miroslav Zografski replied:
Hi Graig,

I just cannot recreate the problem you're experiencing. Can you provide me with more info on your site like path - is it relative to document or to site root, and etc. Just can't figure that out yet. It will be better if you are using document relative paths.
Excuse me for my first sugestion.

Regards,

M.Zografski

DMXZone.com Support Team
Replied 23 Jul 2008 19:28:23
23 Jul 2008 19:28:23 Graig McHendrie replied:
I'm not sure what you mean by "It will be better if you are using document relative paths." If I were to create a reference manually I would usually enter it as a document relative path unless that was very cumbersome, in which case I'd us a path relative to root at the site. But I'm wondering if there is a setting someplace in DW that controls the type of path that is constructed when one creates a path using mouse drags? I've looked and don't find anything for that.

I find it interesting that CSS Image Gallery creates document relative paths for the ScriptLibrary at the top of the file but then has these strange absolute paths for the image files. Here's a copy-and-paste of the first part of the file, but I've removed all of the "<" and ">" symbols so that the html isn't interpreted within this window ...

!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"
"www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd"
html
head
title gnjmch - Shop - Projects - Water Filter Installation /title
meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1"
script src="../../ScriptLibrary/jquery-latest.pack.js" type="text/javascript" /script
script src="../../ScriptLibrary/jquery.mousewheel.pack.js" type="text/javascript" /script
script src="../../ScriptLibrary/dmxgallery.js" type="text/javascript" /script
link href="../../styles/dmxgallery.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" /
/head

body
div class="dmxGallery" id="cssWaterFilterInstallation"
ul
li
h3 Cold filtered water out of the spigot on the left. /h3
p Hot filtered water out of the one on the right. /p
img src="../../../../../../graig/AA_My_Data/Web/gnjmch.info/shop/css_images/WaterFilterInstallation.1.jpg" class="image" / /li
li
h3 Blue canister is the water filter. /h3
p Water inlet is the clear plastic tube at right end of top. /p
img src="../../../../../../graig/AA_My_Data/Web/gnjmch.info/shop/css_images/WaterFilterInstallation.2.jpg" class="image" / /li
li
Replied 23 Jul 2008 22:41:27
23 Jul 2008 22:41:27 Graig McHendrie replied:
Oh, and below is the html for the little test page that I mentioned in the top posting, again with the "<" and ">" removed. This page was made in DW by opening a new, blank document, setting the title, doing a "Save as..." to set the file name, then dragging the same images that are used by two new CSS Image Galleries from the local display of file names on to the page. As you can see, DW created clean page-relative pathnames.

html
head
title Test Images /title
/head

body
p img src="../css_images/thumbs/PatioExteriorWallRepair.1.jpg" width="150" height="113"
img src="../css_images/thumbs/PatioExteriorWallRepair.2.jpg" width="150" height="113"
img src="../css_images/thumbs/PatioExteriorWallRepair.3.jpg" width="150" height="113"
/p
p img src="../css_images/thumbs/WaterFilterInstallation.1.jpg" width="150" height="113"
img src="../css_images/thumbs/WaterFilterInstallation.2.jpg" width="150" height="113"
img src="../css_images/thumbs/WaterFilterInstallation.3.jpg" width="150" height="113"
img src="../css_images/thumbs/WaterFilterInstallation.4.jpg" width="113" height="150" /p
p img src="../css_images/PatioExteriorWallRepair.1.jpg" width="640" height="480" /p
p img src="../css_images/PatioExteriorWallRepair.2.jpg" width="640" height="480" /p
p img src="../css_images/PatioExteriorWallRepair.3.jpg" width="640" height="480" /p
p img src="../css_images/WaterFilterInstallation.1.jpg" width="640" height="480" /p
p img src="../css_images/WaterFilterInstallation.2.jpg" width="640" height="480" /p
p img src="../css_images/WaterFilterInstallation.3.jpg" width="640" height="480" /p
p img src="../css_images/WaterFilterInstallation.4.jpg" width="360" height="480" /p
p   /p
p   /p
p   /p
/body
/html
Replied 24 Jul 2008 12:29:30
24 Jul 2008 12:29:30 Miroslav Zografski replied:
Hi Graig,

I mean that in your site definition you can choose the relativness of links - site root relative or document relative.
Have you tryed to recreate the gallery?

Regards,

M.Zografski

DMXZone.com Support Team
Replied 24 Jul 2008 16:39:57
24 Jul 2008 16:39:57 Graig McHendrie replied:
Miroslav -

That sounds promising and sorry to be slow about this, but where or how do I do that? I've looked at all the tabs under Site, Manage Sites, then Edit this particular site and don't see anything about pathing there. And before I reformatted the drive for the Vista reload, I exported the site definition and then imported it when I reinstalled DW, so I don't think anything would have changed there.

And what do you mean by "recreate the gallery"?
Replied 24 Jul 2008 16:54:57
24 Jul 2008 16:54:57 Miroslav Zografski replied:
Hi Graig,

Well, did you try to create it again without Title and Description? About Site - go to Site->Manage Sites->Edit->Advanced->Local Info.

Regards,

M.Zografski

DMXZone.com Support Team
Replied 24 Jul 2008 17:12:26
24 Jul 2008 17:12:26 Graig McHendrie replied:
Miroslav -

Whan I look at the Advanced, Local tab I see fields for:
Site name: set to a simple string
Local root folder: set using the browser tool and resulting in an absolute path on my local disk
Refresh local file list automatically: turned on
Default images folder: set using the browser tool and resulting in an absolute path on my local disk
HTTP address: set to gnjmch.info
Cach: enable cache - turned on

In what way do I use those fields to control the nature of the path? Maybe that's a feature not present in DW MX 2004?

Re recreating the gallery - yes, I had done that during my initial trouble shooting and got the same bad results.

Graig
Replied 25 Jul 2008 12:41:59
25 Jul 2008 12:41:59 Miroslav Zografski replied:
HI Garig,

It apperas that im MX 2004 there is no path handling like in next versions. My mistake.
I did tested on winXP and on Vista with 1.0.4 CSS Img Gall to recreate your issue, but with no success, so:
First try to recreate your site's cache. Remove the gallery and go to Site->Advanced->Recreate Site Cache. Place the galllery again.
If that does not help try to reinstall the extension, but first remove it with Extension Manager and then clear the DW's cache file:
for win XP:
C:\Documents and Settings\MZografski\Application Data\Macromedia\Dreamweaver MX 2004\Configuration\FileCache.dat
for Vista:
C:\Users\<currentuser>\AppData\Roaming\Macromedia\Dreamweaver MX 2004\Configuration\FileCache.dat

then install it again.

M.Zografski

DMXZone.com Support Team
Replied 25 Jul 2008 16:46:20
25 Jul 2008 16:46:20 Graig McHendrie replied:
Miroslav -

I tried both of your suggestions and neither solved the problem. The new Gallery still has the incorrect path for the image source.

Graig
Replied 28 Jul 2008 10:34:52
28 Jul 2008 10:34:52 Miroslav Zografski replied:
Hi Graig,

Try creating a new site, but near the root directori so it will be with shorter path by default, and test the gallery again.

Regards,

M.Zografski

DMXZone.com Support Team
Replied 28 Jul 2008 22:56:06
28 Jul 2008 22:56:06 Graig McHendrie replied:
Miroslav -

That appears to work. I created a new directory at c:\TestSite and a new site so that the local folder field is set to "C:\TestSite\", then created a new gallery and the path looks ok. I've included the resulting html below, doctored in the usual way.

I sure hope you aren't going to tell me I have to move my current production folder just to make 1.0.4 work!!!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

html
head
title Test Page /title
script src="ScriptLibrary/jquery-latest.pack.js" type="text/javascript" /script
script src="ScriptLibrary/jquery.mousewheel.pack.js" type="text/javascript" /script
script src="ScriptLibrary/dmxgallery.js" type="text/javascript" /script
link href="styles/dmxgallery.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" /
/head

body div class="dmxGallery" id="cssTest1"
ul
li img src="CSS_Images/DymoLabelWriterDuoSupportShelf.1.SketchUp.jpg" width="519" height="480" class="image" alt="" / /li
li img src="CSS_Images/DymoLabelWriterDuoSupportShelf.2.SketchUp.jpg" width="396" height="480" class="image" alt="" / /li
li img src="CSS_Images/DymoLabelWriterDuoSupportShelf.3.SketchUp.jpg" width="640" height="404" class="image" alt="" / /li
li img src="CSS_Images/DymoLabelWriterDuoSupportShelf.4.SketchUp.jpg" width="562" height="480" class="image" alt="" / /li
li img src="CSS_Images/DymoLabelWriterDuoSupportShelf.5.jpg" width="360" height="480" class="image" alt="" / /li
li img src="CSS_Images/DymoLabelWriterDuoSupportShelf.6.jpg" width="640" height="480" class="image" alt="" / /li
li img src="CSS_Images/DymoLabelWriterDuoSupportShelf.7.jpg" width="640" height="480" class="image" alt="" / /li
/ul
/div
div class="dmxThumbList" id="cssTest1_thumb"
ul
li img src="CSS_Images/thumbs/DymoLabelWriterDuoSupportShelf.1.SketchUp.jpg" width="150" height="139" alt="" / /li
li img src="CSS_Images/thumbs/DymoLabelWriterDuoSupportShelf.2.SketchUp.jpg" width="124" height="150" alt="" / /li
li img src="CSS_Images/thumbs/DymoLabelWriterDuoSupportShelf.3.SketchUp.jpg" width="640" height="404" alt="" / /li
li img src="CSS_Images/thumbs/DymoLabelWriterDuoSupportShelf.4.SketchUp.jpg" width="150" height="128" alt="" / /li
li img src="CSS_Images/thumbs/DymoLabelWriterDuoSupportShelf.5.jpg" width="113" height="150" alt="" / /li
li img src="CSS_Images/thumbs/DymoLabelWriterDuoSupportShelf.6.jpg" width="150" height="113" alt="" / /li
li img src="CSS_Images/thumbs/DymoLabelWriterDuoSupportShelf.7.jpg" width="150" height="113" alt="" / /li
/ul
/div
script type="text/javascript"
// ![CDATA[
jQuery(document).ready(
function()
{
jQuery("#cssTest1".dmxGallery(
{
width: 624,
height: 480,
thumbWidth: 95,
thumbHeight: 80,
thumbPadding: 5,
thumbHolderHeight: 80,
thumbHolderPosition: 'right',
thumbShowOnHover: false,
captionPosition: 'top',
playerDelay: 3,
autoPlay: false,
autosize: true,
captionOpacity: 40,
imgIndex: 0,
preloadTreshold: 2,
currentImage: 0
}
);
}
);
// ]]
/script

/body
/html
Replied 29 Jul 2008 10:08:06
29 Jul 2008 10:08:06 Miroslav Zografski replied:
Hi Graig,

No I'm not, but I think it is more a DW issue than CSS Image Gallery and it conserns the place where you at in Files tab.
You can try to create ones again that (already historical) CSS Image Gallery, but in Files tab in DW browse to (if you're not) the folder, in witch the file, that will contain the gallery is (wow, that's what I call sentence).

Regards,

M.Zografski

DMXZone.com Support Team
Replied 29 Jul 2008 16:13:05
29 Jul 2008 16:13:05 Graig McHendrie replied:
Miroslav - yes, quite a sentence, and I'm afraid I don't understand it. I get the part that I should try again to create a CSS Image Gallery at my original site, but it's not clear to me what I should do differently this time.

Graig
Replied 29 Jul 2008 16:15:01
29 Jul 2008 16:15:01 Graig McHendrie replied:
Miroslav - I also wonder if it's a DW problem, why I never had this issue with the earlier 1.0.3 version of CSS Image Gallery but it occurs consistently with the 1.0.4 version?

Graig
Replied 13 Feb 2009 03:55:54
13 Feb 2009 03:55:54 Jon Jaques replied:
Hello, is there any resolution to this bug?

I am experiencing the exact same problem under DW8, using the same version of the CSS Image Gallery.

I do apologize, but before finding this product-specific support area, I'd already posted to the general DW forum, here:

www.dmxzone.com/forum/topic/42899

Can you shed any light on this problem?

The only "clue" I'm getting from this post is that maybe the path to the site root is too long, but I must say I've never had any problem using my windows standard paths before which amount to D:\InetPub\wwwroot\MySiteNameHere

If this IS a path length error, it is certainly within acceptable limits of both Windows and DW, so the limitation must exist within the extension.

I'll try a virtual directory under IIS for testing and an alternate path, but if that works, it only proves that the extension has a bug that should be fixed.

If you could please shed some light on this, I'd greatly appreciate it!

--Jon
Replied 13 Feb 2009 04:17:30
13 Feb 2009 04:17:30 Jon Jaques replied:
This is DEFINITELY a bug, and I just realized that I've run into it before, posted about it, and got no resolution. Further, it is not limited to this product!

Have a look-see at this other post:

www.dmxzone.com/forum/topic/39397/
Replied 13 Feb 2009 05:54:41
13 Feb 2009 05:54:41 Jon Jaques replied:
Just tested this under DW CS4, and the same problem exists, no improvement.

Reply to this topic