Client-side development is becoming more and more popular, as a client-side developer who is responsible for the markup, you want to have full control over your templates. Although some applications might work well by letting the server generate all the HTML necessary, many applications can be enhanced by integrating client-side data binding that dynamically converts JSON data returned from the server into HTML. In today's article we'll show you the huge difference between Dreamweaver Server Behaviors and the technologies that DMXzone Data Connector PHP/ASP uses.
Database Connection -> DMxzone Database connection
- Deprecated: Dreamweaver Server Behaviors - For PHP development, Dreamweaver only supports the MySQL database system and MS Access, MS SQL Server and Oracle for ASP. Note: The code, generated from the server behaviors uses MySQL API, which is deprecated as of PHP 5.5.0, and will be removed in the future.
- New: DMXzone Database Connector - For PHP developments, DMXzone Database Connector supports MySQL, PostrgeSQL, SQLite, SQL Server and SQL Server Native, and Access, Access ODBC, MySQL ODBC, ODBC File DSN, ODBC System DSN, SQL Server, SQL Server Express for ASP. You can also choose a custom database type form both PHP and ASP.
Recordset -> DMXzone Database source
- Deprecated: Dreamweaver Server Behaviors - You can create a recordset without manually entering SQL statements.
- New: DMXzone Database Connector - The built-in connection wizard allows you to connect to your database easily and get your data the Ajax way. It comes with full support for wide range of well-known databases and uses specific adapters for each type database so that it can use the native power of the database without bothering you with weird SQL syntax!
Repeat region -> HTML5 Data Bindings Repeat region/Repeat Children
- Deprecated: Dreamweaver Server Behaviors - Repeating regions enable you to control your page layout by repeating certain items, such as a catalog item and description layout, or a row for data such as a list of items.
- New: DMXzone Database Connector - In order to repeat any HTML element on your page you can use repeat region and also to repeat the children of any parent-child structure (for example ul>li) you can apply the repeat children option to the parent.
Recordset paging / first/prev/next/last -> HTML5 Data source Paging options + data.show/data.hide attributes
- Deprecated: Dreamweaver Server Behaviors - This set of behaviors lets you add links to jump to different records in a recordset.
- New: DMXzone Database Connector - With the HTML5 Data Bindings show/hide bindings attributes, you can decide when to show and hide regions depending on the data being available. With the Control HTML5 Data Binding behavior, now you can refresh your database source data by just moving to the next, previous, first or last page. Only the repeat region with the data will be refreshed and not the whole page.
Show region -> HTML5 Data Bindings show/hide region
- Deprecated: Dreamweaver Server Behaviors - Use show region to control content that may or may not be displayed.
- New: DMXzone Database Connector - The HTML5 Data Bindings allow you to make a special conditional region of any data repeating element. Just select it and you will see, along with the repeat regions insert, you will have a show and hide Region option. This way you can make a region visible or hidden when its data is available only. Very useful for example to show “No records found” message when there are no records.
Display record count -> HTML5 data source total data element
- Deprecated: Dreamweaver Server Behaviors - Record counters display the total number of records returned, and the current records being viewed.
- New: DMXzone Database Connector - You display the total number of records returned and also the total number of pages that your records are split into. Also you can show the current page.
Dynamic text -> HTML5 Data Binding
- Deprecated: Dreamweaver Server Behaviors - The data is rendered on the server and then is returned from the server as HTML.
- New: HTML5 Data Bindings - The data is rendered on the client side and not on the server, using data bindings.
Our weekly content summary
It's Friday and as always, it's time for our weekly content summary where you'll find the complete list of blog posts, videos, showcases and other crazy useful stuff that we released for the past five days. We released improved versions of both, DMXzone Database Connector PHP and DMXzone Database Connector ASP and also a brand new and free Single Page Portfolio Template that can be downloaded from our Templates section. Don't forget to check out the sneak preview of the upcoming HTML5 Data ...