Advanced HTML Editor 2 Support Product Page

This topic was archived

Images

Asked 21 Jul 2006 09:30:32
has this question
21 Jul 2006 09:30:32 Carl Grint posted:
It would be really nice if the next update to this extension improved on the way it deals with images.

At the moment you have the relative or absolute option, which would be fine if the relative option was based on the site base url (which the extension knows), but it is not, it based on the page that the editor resides on.

This has caused me major problems as my admin pages site within an admin folder, with each section having its own folder, and the main part of the site for viewing only has a folder per section, so whilst the admin section is two folders in, the main is only 1 and the images did not work, so I ended up having to change my entire admin section so I could use images, and then had the problem with the home page, as obvioulsy it is not within a folder, but luckily on the live site even though the path was ../ the fact that you can not go out of the www folder meant the image worked, but still not a good way to work.

Obviously you could use the absolute option, but then anyone looking at the source has a fast way to the path of your admin system, which although is locked down with access details, I would rather not give them a head start.

Ideally the images should just work based relatively to the based url, i.e the extension knows the base url, so why can it not store the path to the image folder relative to that..?

It really has been a let down, as images have not worked without a major change to my site structure, which is a shame as this extension is much better then the previous ones i have tried, although they where free, so you can forgive them.

Web Development Consultant
providing web development services including Web site design and development, the complete development of Intranets/Extranets and a wide range of Web applications.

Details can be viewed at www.cgw3.co.uk

Replies

Replied 26 Jul 2006 12:32:20
26 Jul 2006 12:32:20 Patrick Woldberg replied:
If the images would be relative to the base url and not to the page where the editor resides on, the images wouldn't show in the editor.

--------------------------------------------------
Patrick Woldberg
Web Developer at Dynamic Zones
Administrator at DMXzone.com, FLzone.net, FWzone.net and DNzone.com
Replied 26 Jul 2006 12:39:01
26 Jul 2006 12:39:01 Carl Grint replied:
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
If the images would be relative to the base url and not to the page where the editor resides on, the images wouldn't show in the editor.

Patrick Woldberg
Web Developer at Dynamic Zones
Administrator at DMXzone.com, FLzone.net, FWzone.net and DNzone.com

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size=2 id=quote>

So are you saying it is impossible for the HTML editor ever to be used with Images and a proper Admin system which utalises separate folder system for the Admin sections...?
This seems a very big shortfall, afterall most CMS systems don't use the edit page in the same level as the view pages, to protect the admin system from prying eyes, so it would seem to make sense that images should work ... absolute or relative, but in reality neither do, with security in mind, as using absolute makes its absolute to the admin page, rather then the site, using the base url again, how is this not possible..?

I have to be honest if I had known this is how the Editor dealt with Images I would not have wasted money on it, as I have had to redesign my entire admin system to make it work, and as I previously mentioned, the home pages only displays the images because of the hosting restriction on going out of the www folder, not good at all.

Web Development Consultant
providing web development services including Web site design and development, the complete development of Intranets/Extranets and a wide range of Web applications.

Details can be viewed at www.cgw3.co.uk

Edited by - CGrint on 26 Jul 2006 12:39:22

Edited by - CGrint on 26 Jul 2006 12:39:36

Reply to this topic