Advanced HTML Editor 2 Support Product Page

This topic was archived

no more <p> tags

Asked 22 Oct 2004 00:33:03
has this question
22 Oct 2004 00:33:03 Dan Berdusco posted:
One thing that I have wanted changed since the release of version 1 is the ability to have a <pre id=code><font face=courier size=2 id=code>&lt;br&gt; </font id=code></pre id=code> inserted when the user presses the "ENTER" key rather than creating a new <pre id=code><font face=courier size=2 id=code> &lt;p&gt;&lt;/p&gt;. </font id=code></pre id=code> I would LOVE IT if you could completely remove the <pre id=code><font face=courier size=2 id=code> &lt;p&gt;&lt;/p&gt;</font id=code></pre id=code> tags altogether as they seem useless to me.

Is there somewhere that I could modify the code slightly to make this change myself?

Thanks.

Replies

Replied 03 Nov 2008 12:42:32
03 Nov 2008 12:42:32 Joel Rea replied:
Cool feature indeed, but I must point out that getting rid of &lt;P&gt; and replacing them with &lt;BR&gt; is a bad idea from a Web usability and standards standpoint.

Conceptually speaking, &lt;BR&gt; should <i>only</i> be used for forced line breaks within a paragraph (<i>e.g.</i> lines of an address). Paragraphs should be marked as such, with the tag designed specifically to do so since HTML 1.0, namely, the &lt;P&gt; tag. This facilitates proper handling by search engines, online language translators, screen readers for the blind, <i>etc.</i>

If your problem with &lt;P&gt;&lt;/P&gt; is the margin above or below, the proper solution is to use CSS to get rid of the margin. If all your article text will be displayed within a &lt;DIV&gt; (or other container) with an ID of "article", then this will do the trick:
<pre id=code><font face=courier size=2 id=code>#article p {
margin-top: 0;
margin-bottom: 0;
/* any other CSS you want to be specific for Paragraphs within Article content should go here */
}</font id=code></pre id=code>

Voila!
Replied 09 Jan 2009 01:48:16
09 Jan 2009 01:48:16 Michael Bosquez replied:
The other problem is that I can't find a way to use bullets anymore without the &lt;p&gt; tags. Is there a way? My customers want what they think are single line spaces, but I hate to lose the bulleting.

Thanks,
Mike
Replied 13 Jan 2009 16:11:02
13 Jan 2009 16:11:02 Michael Bosquez replied:
I guess nobody knows if you can use bullets when putting it into a &lt;BR&gt; mode.

Thanks,
Mike
Replied 13 Jan 2009 18:33:36
13 Jan 2009 18:33:36 Dan Berdusco replied:
The quick answer is NO. You cannot use ul or ol tags if you are using BR.

www.102tech.com
www.calgaryflames.net
Replied 13 Jan 2009 19:06:26
13 Jan 2009 19:06:26 Michael Bosquez replied:
Thanks. I figured that, but wanted to check just in case.

Thanks,
Mike

Reply to this topic