960 Grid System 2.0 (free extension) Support Product Page

Under investigation

960.CSS not automatically linking to new page created with Grid System in CS4

Reported 02 Apr 2012 17:53:59
has this problem
02 Apr 2012 17:53:59 jim daniels posted:
Great extension. One problem, though. When a new page is created and saved and then a new grid inserted via the extension in DWCS4, the 960.CSS file created by the extension does not automatically link to the page along with the automatically created (and properly linked) Text.Css and Reset.CSS files.

Ironically, I have downloaded sample web templates which have obviously been created with this extension, and ALL three .CSS files are properly and automatically linked to the HTML pages.

Have manually tried linking the 960.CSS file to the newly created page, but it still does not show as being open and readily available for editing when the main HTML page to which is should be automatically linked is open for editing. As a result, occasional errors relating to such unlinked status pop up within Dreamweaver.

Absolutely love both the concept and execution of this extension, so I would appreciate any advice or direction you may be able to provide as to why this problem may be occurring. FYI, I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the extension.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Replies

Replied 03 Apr 2012 06:22:07
03 Apr 2012 06:22:07 Teodor Kuduschiev replied:
Hello,

Please uninstall the extension, clear your DW cache: www.dmxzone.com/go?16740 ,then restart DW and install the extension again.
Make sure to define your site and save the file you are working on in this site definition.
Replied 05 Apr 2012 17:55:09
05 Apr 2012 17:55:09 jim daniels replied:
Teodor,

Thanks very much for the quick and courteous reply. Unfortunately, your cache-clearing recommendation did not remedy my particular issue.

Perhaps I did a poor job of describing the problem. The problem IS NOT that the extension fails to install or is not usable to some degree (it does and it is). The problem is that out of the three .CSS files which are created and visible in the CSS PANEL after you insert a grid of any chosen size onto a page (i.e., 960_XX_col.css, reset.css, text.css and style), only the reset.css and text.css files properly and automatically “open” (and therefore properly and automatically linked to the main HTML/PHP page you have created and saved are properly linked) and are immediately editable in code view within the Design/Split/Code panel).

Having seen other sites created with your extension which correctly “link” (and therefore automatically open) the 960_XX_col.css file automatically when you open the page in which you have inserted a grid, it is apparent that something is not functioning properly with the extension. Indeed, I have to manually open the 960_XX-col.css file if I want to peruse it in full code-editing mode, which should not be necessary if it was automatically “bound” to the main HTML/PHP file to which it was supposed to be automatically created when the grid was inserted by the extension. Even still, this would be a minor inconvenience if that was the only problem…however, Dreamweaver CS4 error dialogue boxes routinely pop up alerting me that, in essence, it does not recognize the 960_XX_col.css file as being linked (and attempting to manually link it has no helpful effect). The exact text of the message is as follows: " An unexpected error occurred while trying to read style-sheet information". These errors routinely pop up after I have made a change to a 960_XX_col.css div element and go back in a second to re-edit that element again and "apply" changes.

I’d be happy to send you a screen shot should you wish to see precisely what I am saying here (you would have to provide instruction on how I might upload a screen shot for your viewing). I realize this is a free extension, and that support is limited, however I am grateful for your kind assistance and will remain hopeful this problem can be remedied.

Again, thanks so very much for your kind assistance with this matter!

Reply to this topic