DMXzone Bootstrap 3 Navigation Support Product Page

Solved

Bootstrap3 drop down menu item not functioning

Reported 04 Jul 2015 12:06:06
have this problem
04 Jul 2015 12:06:06 Craig Evans posted:
Whenever I convert a bootstrap page to bootstrap3 any drop down menus I have stop working.... I have tried using just about every bootstrap template in DW and even creating one from scratch. Every other aspect of the DMXZone bootstrap3 stuff appears to work. I'm using a correctly defined site locally and generating some database content in ASP so I know the server is working. I'm using DW CC2015. I can see there is a whole plethora of bootstrap files loaded and there are no errors in the browser console (Chrome). Any ideas would be appreciated.

Replies

Replied 06 Jul 2015 12:01:18
06 Jul 2015 12:01:18 Teodor Kuduschiev replied:
Hello Craig,
In order to have the navigation working, you must have the DMXzone Bootstrap 3 Navigation extension installed and then create a navigation using it, as described in the tutorials.
Replied 06 Jul 2015 22:50:01
06 Jul 2015 22:50:01 Craig Evans replied:
Hi Teodor, I do have the BS3 Nav installed. I did speak to Miro yesterday who was very helpful. I think it might be useful if you take a quick look at a demo video I put together at topogigo.com/bootstrap3.mp4 . I may not be doing everything in a way I'm expected to, however the dmx tools I have installed provide an expectation of being able to do certain things. In fact at least one of your instructional videos recommends the approach I'm taking.

I'm am new to DW and normally use VS and ASP.NET (and I'm new BootStrap) so I'm no expert. I'm using CC2015 on a fully patched Win7 machine. The video illustrates 2 issues which cause significant grief although I have a work around. I also observed several other problems but can get round those too. I think it just needs to be thoroughly tested. In terms of the tutorials, having been a trainer in another life, I thought it might be nice to have a comprehensive tutorial that builds an entire application (in chunks) that covers the majority of functionality that most people use. I've noticed it can be very time consuming trying to find the right 2 minute video for the problem that you have. Best Regards.
Replied 08 Jul 2015 09:36:11
08 Jul 2015 09:36:11 Craig Evans replied:
Hi Teodor, I wondered if you'd had time to review my issues?
Replied 08 Jul 2015 10:26:28
08 Jul 2015 10:26:28 Teodor Kuduschiev replied:
The issues you are showing in the video are not really related to the extension but the way you are using it.
First of all - the starter pages, as well as the templates are not provided by us. This is all by Adobe/Dreamweaver.
Then - using "convert to bootstrap 3" on these starter pages/templates is not right. It should only be used on bootstrap 2 pages, which you want to convert to bootstrap 3 ...
If you want the bootstrap 3 extension to properly recognize the Adobe Starter pages/Templates then, after you create these and save them go to: Commands > DMXzone Bootstrap 3 Options. There you should select local minified, and point to Main CSS File, as well as the JS File. These are the bootstrap css and js files created by Dreamweaver in your site definition - browse to and point to them:

Also - turn the automatic file update option off.
Then, when you point to the css and js files, the extension will properly recognize the bootstrap code on your page ...

Now the easier way ... create a blank new page (do not use these starter pages...), and then go to the insert panel, click the DMXzone Bootstrap 3 icon and you are done!

Now you can build the page without having to mess around the starter pages, which code is slightly modified, which of course causes issues.

So my advice is to build your bootstrap pages from scratch, applying the extension to them, and then adding the grid, elements and navigation. Also - please follow the bootstrap 3 navigation tutorials.
Replied 08 Jul 2015 11:16:45
08 Jul 2015 11:16:45 Craig Evans replied:
Cheers. I appreciate your help. I'll give both approaches a try.

Reply to this topic