HTML5 Data Bindings Extended Repeater Support Product Page

Answered

Questions about Extended Repeater Extension before I buy

Asked 20 Aug 2014 17:18:49
have this question
20 Aug 2014 17:18:49 Steve Skinner posted:
Pre-sales questions....

Feature overlap with column sorting
It seems like there is some overlap in features with the HTML5 Data Bindings extension. In the most recent update with HTML5 DB, we now have the ability to use search filtering and dynamic column sorting together, so this extension doesn't really deliver anything new or different for that, although the way you set it up is definitely different. Is this correct or does the Extended repeater do something more as far as sorting goes?

Paging
We already have the ability to do client side paging with HTML5 DB, but this extended repeater extension seems to bring the new capability of going to any particular page in the results by clicking the page number. That seems to be the only difference from the paging that HTML5 already has. Is there more to it than that?

Question about long lists and performance
One of the great things about HTML5 DB was that it retrieves the # of records for a page when you click it (ajax style), instead of loading the entire list of records and then dividing them up into pages. In your demo, you show entering no value for records per page in the set up of the data source with HTML5 DB. Paging set up comes later with the extended repeater extension. This left me wondering whether paging performance is slower than the original way to do paging with HTML5 DB because you're telling the data source to load all records, and then it gets divided up into pages by this new extension. It seems like you may lose the ajax benefits of "load data as you go" when doing it this way.

I'd be curious to see what the paging performance would be on a data source with a thousand or more records, comparing the original method of paging with HTML5 DB and this new way with the extended repeater.

Have you guys done any performance testing on this to know if there's any significant difference?

Replies

Replied 21 Aug 2014 09:09:29
21 Aug 2014 09:09:29 Teodor Kuduschiev replied:
Hello Steve,
As the name of the extension hints, it extends the functionality of HTML5 Data Bindings repeaters (repeat regions).
Feature overlap with column sorting - With the standard HTML5 Data Bindings you can apply sorting to your data source, using the Query Builder - this way the repeat region(s) created from this data source will be sorted using this rule. This of course is good and works fine in most of the cases.
Using HTML5 Data Bindings Extended Repeater you can create as many custom repeat regions as you wish, and apply different sort/filter options for each of them, without needing to create a separate data source if you need different sort options. This way you can reuse one data source as many times as you wish on your page.

Paging - the paging option integrated in HTML5 Data Bindings Extended Repeater allows you to number your pages and go directly to the desired one.

Question about long lists and performance - there are no any performance issues when using long lists and numbered paging. I just ran several tests with dynamic table using exactly 1000 records (order information - order number, product code, product name, price, quantity ordered etc).
The results are:
- Between 110 and 150 ms - without numbered paging
- Between 125 and 160 ms - using numbered paging
So, actually, there is nothing to worry about, the performance is at the same high level as it has ever been.
Replied 21 Aug 2014 13:42:40
21 Aug 2014 13:42:40 Steve Skinner replied:
That last part - about performance was my biggest concern but you've definitely put that concern aside. I look forward to putting this new extension to use.
Replied 21 Aug 2014 14:03:40
21 Aug 2014 14:03:40 Teodor Kuduschiev replied:
And just to clarify - the extension is not loading the entire list of records and then dividing them up into pages. It loads each portion of the list as soon as you click on the specific page

Reply to this topic