DMXzone App Connect Support Product Page

So there is no way to edit records or anything?

Asked 09 Mar 2017 20:38:03
have this question
09 Mar 2017 20:38:03 Brad Lawryk posted:
So what can be done with these new extensions other than display data?

- Can't Insert,update or delete records?
- Can't have secure pages to put those forms in?

What can be done with these extensions? Is there a detailed list of what can be done and used with what extensions? This is ridiculous trying to keep track of what works with what.

Replies

Replied 09 Mar 2017 21:00:16
09 Mar 2017 21:00:16 George Petrov replied:
Brad have you even watched any of the videos we publish? Read the features maybe?
How can you come to this conclusion..?

The App Connect replaces the HTML5 Data Bindings - but integrates even better with Server Connect and its Database Connector and Updater - so of course there is a way to query and update your database. Just as you were used to with Server Connect Actions!

Check the App Connect manual:
www.dmxzone.com/go/32764/dmxzone-app-connect-manual

Greetings,
George

Replied 09 Mar 2017 21:01:30
09 Mar 2017 21:01:30 Teodor Kuduschiev replied:
Hello Brad,
Of course with App Connect you can do anything you could do with Data Bindings ... including insert, update or delete records, as well as displaying records on the page. Of course you can have secure pages also.

All of the videos are located on the product pages, as well as in the videos section of our website. For example, Inserting Database record: www.dmxzone.com/go/32786/insert-database-records-with-server-and-app-connect/
Update and Delete records are similar and coming in the tutorials are coming in the next few days ...
Replied 09 Mar 2017 21:06:35
09 Mar 2017 21:06:35 Brad Lawryk replied:
Yes, I have watched the videos .... going on the third time now.

I think the whole problem is not knowing what is current and what works with what anymore and what has replaced what, etc. It’s a complete mess.

So what extensions DO work with the App Data stuff and what exactly has the App Data stuff replaced? And what stuff is yet to be replaced?

Some sort of extension structure information would be helpful. No idea what is what anymore. Very frustrating.
Replied 09 Mar 2017 21:11:39
09 Mar 2017 21:11:39 Teodor Kuduschiev replied:
The extensions which has been working on the server side - with server connect, work fine with app connect too. Tools like HTML5 Data Bindings Formatter, State Management and Table/Form/Paging Generators will be updated, to support App Connect.
Replied 09 Mar 2017 21:15:04
09 Mar 2017 21:15:04 Brad Lawryk replied:
So if I plan on using the paging, table generators I should not use AppConnect? You see this is good to know before starting a project.

Thats what I keep running into and having to start over.

Is there anything else that Data Bindings CAN use that App Connect CAN'T. This is very important information to know BEFORE starting projects. Not half way through and discover it.
Replied 09 Mar 2017 21:17:19
09 Mar 2017 21:17:19 Teodor Kuduschiev replied:
You could create paging and tables manually for now, and this has been shown in the tutorials. The generators are getting updated in the next few weeks, as i described in the other topic you posted about the same issue.
Replied 09 Mar 2017 21:46:12
09 Mar 2017 21:46:12 Tom Dupre replied:
I, and am sure other users, feel exactly the same way as Brad.

I've also mentioned to Teodor using the online support, that I don't know whether or not it's feasible to start using the new extensions now, or continue with the old ones until essential features are available - or at least explained - using App Connect. What is frustrating is simply not knowing what works with what - and it can be very time-consuming trying to find out.

If I understand Teodor correctly, the security-related extensions work correctly - and nothing has changed in this respect. (Is this correct?)

The videos are very helpful (and BTW, displaying the code is a great improvement) but if we have to wait until each feature is explained in a video, the possibility of making reasonable use of the extensions could be delayed for weeks or months. A brief explanation of each option and menu item would be very helpful, at least to point users in the right direction and to make experimentation (required due to lack of documentation or videos) at more likely not to be a waste of time.

I haven't discovered something as basic as how to use an URL parameter in a query. I've searched for 'url, param and get' on the manual pages, but haven't found it. I'm sure it's extremely simple. I wouldn't mind just a line or two of code and wait for the videos etc..

The new extensions look very promising but as it stands, they're really frustrating.
Replied 09 Mar 2017 21:50:17
09 Mar 2017 21:50:17 Brad Lawryk replied:
Thank you, Tom. It is indeed the not knowing what works with what that is so frustrating. The how to do it can be figured out over time if a person knows for sure that it is even possible.
Replied 09 Mar 2017 23:50:36
09 Mar 2017 23:50:36 George Petrov replied:
Hi guys,

bear with us as we are producing more videos to show everything off.

You can already do everything that you have done with HTML5 Data Bindings. Next week we are releasing also the special App Connect Data Formatters.

You can already use the Bootstrap 3 extensions and populate all your data with App Connect, make forms and insert/update data to database. The Bootstrap 3 Generators are not critical but will be updated in a week as well. We wanted to push the essential stuff out first.

App Connect is really very powerful and easy to use. You will be discovering more and more powers with it.

If you want to speed up the video processing - you might want to help out as well!
We can always use some good explanation videos. So that everybody understands the power of App Connect.

@Tom - defining query parameters is as easy as selecting the root "App" node in the App Connect panel, then clicking on the "Define Query Params" button (you do have to give your app page an unique name first). When you define your query params there - then they will be available in the data bindings picker under a "query" root leaf.

Greetings,
George

Replied 10 Mar 2017 07:14:58
10 Mar 2017 07:14:58 Teodor Kuduschiev replied:
Hi Tom,
Actually there is a video, showing how to filter a query using an URL parameter, and it is located in our videos section: www.dmxzone.com/75/videos

This is the video: www.dmxzone.com/go/32792/details-page-filterd-by-an-url-parameter/

Also, there is already a description, for each of the interface elements of App Connect: www.dmxzone.com/go/32798/dmxzone-app-connect-reference

As explained above, we are working on more video tutorials and they will be released in the upcoming weeks.
Replied 10 Mar 2017 09:56:55
10 Mar 2017 09:56:55 Tom Dupre replied:
Thanks Teodor. This is very useful information.

I haven't see the reference before - it's very helfpul I can't see any links to it from the main App Connect or manual pages, but now I see it's under 'Articles'.

Nor have I seen the video you mention - which is of course exactly what I was looking for. If it's been there all the time I can't see how I missed it ; I regularly check for any updates. I wonder if there could be a problem with videos not appearing on the site. I mentioned to you the other day that there are only three videos on your site covering App Connect Data Traversal but there are four on YouTube (www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7EeF6WXv6k).

Anyway, thanks again.
Tom
Replied 10 Mar 2017 10:01:44
10 Mar 2017 10:01:44 Teodor Kuduschiev replied:
Hi Tom,
I will check the missing videos problem with our content manager.
Replied 20 Mar 2017 05:39:30
20 Mar 2017 05:39:30 Firdaus Rohman replied:
Hey guys, I'm also looking for tutorials on how to update and delete database using Server Connect + App Connect. Right now I'm unable to add data-detail to input it keeps asking about Please Enter App ID first when I try to add Data Source. A direct tutorial demonstrating how to achieve update and delete is highly appreciated.
Replied 20 Mar 2017 07:49:32
20 Mar 2017 07:49:32 Teodor Kuduschiev replied:
Hello Firdaus,
We will release update and delete tutorials in a couple of days.
As for the app id, just click App in the app connect panel, and add some id to it.
Replied 28 Mar 2017 19:27:10
28 Mar 2017 19:27:10 Brad Lawryk replied:

QuoteWe will release update and delete tutorials in a couple of days.

How is it coming with the delete tutorial. I am sure it's very easy but for the life of me I can't seem to get it.
Replied 29 Mar 2017 14:04:00
29 Mar 2017 14:04:00 aaron clark replied:
OK Brad I have managed to both edit and delete using trial and error
These are probably not using anything like best practice but it worked for me

to delete

create a new page and name it

create a server action file and name it
add a get variable and name it
add a database connection
add a database query to find the required record (add all fields) and then filter it by the get variable
add a database delete and then filter it by the get variable
save the server action file

in app connect panel
click add app connect to page
click on app and name the app ID
click define query parameters and then right click query and add variable (name it)
right click on app and add server connect from data menu
select the action file you created earlier
click the lightning symbol next to the get variable in the input parameters and select the variable you just created
right click on server connect -insert after form - form
change form handler to dmx
set the form action to the action you created
add a static event - server connect - success
goto url (select page to go to once the delete has been done)

this should delete your desired record

to send you to this page you need to create dynamic a link to that page from your detail page
this link needs to pass the ID in the url. This link will help

www.dmxzone.com/go/32792/details-page-filterd-by-an-url-parameter/

Replied 29 Mar 2017 14:12:38
29 Mar 2017 14:12:38 Brad Lawryk replied:
Thanks Aaron, I'll try this when I get to the office.
This reply was removed on 5/19/2017 5:03:28 PM.
See the changelog

Reply to this topic