Pure ASP Upload 2 Support Product Page

This topic is locked
This topic was archived

"AspMaxRequestEntityAllowed" value

Reported 19 Aug 2005 10:57:27
has this problem
19 Aug 2005 10:57:27 Carl Grint posted:
We recently had a client complaining about problems with uploading files suing the ASP uploader, they had had problems before trying to upload file over 1mb, which I advised to have them reduced in size, as the 5 min timeout was causing the form to fail as the file was taking to so long to upload.
Their host has come back and blamed the ASP Upload extension, which I think is them trying to point the finger of blame elsewhere, as the sever has recently been upgraded and surprise the client has now had problems.

Below is the report from the host to the client....I wondered if anyone could comment on this...?

"The only problem with this method is that you are limited by the built in restrictions in Internet Information Services (IIS) called the "AspMaxRequestEntityAllowed" value - the detault for this limit is 204800 (200K). If you have your own server or only need to upload small files then this will not be a problem, if this is not the case then you can be in trouble as many hosting companies will not change default IIS settings as they affect the entire server."

Thank you kindly.

Web Development Consultant
providing web development services including Web site design and development, the complete development of Intranets/Extranets and a wide range of Web applications.
Details can be viewed at www.cgw3.co.uk

Replies

Replied 19 Aug 2005 17:39:37
19 Aug 2005 17:39:37 George Petrov replied:
Hi Carl,

We have a FAQ on this one: www.dmxzone.com/go?5424

Greetings,
George

--------------------------------------------------
George Petrov - Founder of the Dynamic Zones
DMXzone.com, FWzone.net, FLzone.net, CFzone.net,
DNzone.com, FlashFocus.nl
Replied 19 Aug 2005 17:42:59
19 Aug 2005 17:42:59 Carl Grint replied:
Yes, sorry George I meant to post back and say I had read the FAQ.

Unfortunatly does not help, as it requires the Host to make a change, which would be server wide...which most don't.

I have found our host takes files up to 1MB, but anything more fails.

Its a shame that this restriction stops larger files being uploaded without a Host who is willing to make the server wide range.

Obviously if you have your own server, this is no problem.

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
Hi Carl,

We have a FAQ on this one: www.dmxzone.com/go?5424

Greetings,
George

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size=2 id=quote>

providing web development services including Web site design and development, the complete development of Intranets/Extranets and a wide range of Web applications.
Replied 19 Aug 2005 22:22:35
19 Aug 2005 22:22:35 George Petrov replied:
Hi Carl,

Yes this is a limitation that only your provider can lift up. It is in IIS self and limits the file upload no matter which component or solution you use. It is a hard limit in IIS and can only be changed by the administrators.

Greetings,
George

Replied 19 Aug 2005 23:02:32
19 Aug 2005 23:02:32 Carl Grint replied:
Thanks George,

I must admit I was rather taken aback when the Host of the clients site started to complain about the extension and the limitation of the 200k upload the use of ASPMaxRequestEntityAllowed it involved.

This host has been rather ready to blame us, rather then accept that their server setup could need some changing.

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
Hi Carl,

Yes this is a limitation that only your provider can lift up. It is in IIS self and limits the file upload no matter which component or solution you use. It is a hard limit in IIS and can only be changed by the administrators.

Greetings,
George

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size=2 id=quote>

Reply to this topic