This book covers all released components whether utility, control, core file, or CSS tool. Methods of the YAHOO Global Object are used and discussed throughout the book.
The basics of each control will be presented, along with a detailed example showing its use to create complex, fully featured, cross-browser, Web 2.0 user interfaces.
In this book you'll learn
- Explore the YUI Library—utilities, controls, core files, and CSS tools
- Install the library and get up and running with it
- Handle DOM manipulation and scripting
- Get inside Event Handling with YUI
- Create consistent web pages using YUI CSS tools
- Work with Containers—implementation, skinning, adding transitions, and tabs
- Debug, maintain, and update applications with the Logger control
- Examples included in the book:
- Calendar interface
- Creating panels
- Custom tooltips
- Split button
- TreeView Control
- Browser History Manager with Calendar
- Simple animation
- Custom animation
- Creating tabs and adding content dynamically
- Dragging and dropping
- Implementing sliders
- Logger at work
- Logging custom classes
Summary of Contents
- Chapter 1: Introducing the YUI
- Chapter 2: Creating Consistency With The CSS Tools
- Chapter 3: DOM Manipulation and Event Handling
- Chapter 4: AJAX and Connection Manager
- Chapter 5: Animation and the Browser History Manager
- Chapter 6: Buttons and Trees
- Chapter 7: Navigation and AutoComplete
- Chapter 8: Content Containers and Tabs
- Chapter 9: Drag-And-Drop with the YUI
- Chapter 10: Advanced Debugging with Logger
Learning the Yahoo! User Interface library by Dan Wellman is a great tutorial for examining the library itself, providing with theory and many practical examples to apply immediately to code, as well as thorough explanations that enable readers to expand on and understand the code provided.
Dan starts from the A-B of the library. Presuming the reader has only heard of it when opening the book, Dan does a substantial introduction of the YUI, following an overall review of its components, enlisting them in the first chapter. Then the author picks up a selection of some of the most established utilities and in each next chapter he covers one or two of them.
The book teaches the reader how to use the CSS tools of the library, making element normalization and typing up text; DOM manipulation and event handling, presenting most useful DOM scripting techniques and relating them to the YUI. The author does a wonderful introduction to Connection Manager and useful connection style methods, and so much more... Usually he begins the chapter with a theory part which unnoticeably gradates in code for real usage and eventually he appends additional useful methods and tips.
wants to learn how to apply the YUI library in their projects, making them faster and more refined.
We've got a brand new mini-review and competition of Learning the Yahoo! User Interface library. The friendly people of Packt are giving away 5 books!
All you need to do, to enter the competition is, download the sample PDF and finish the following sentence:
"Connection Manager provides a fast and reliable means of..."Send your answer to this e-mail address, before Wednesday the 13th of May 2008. Don't forget to include your post address and phone number (required for international shipping) in the e-mail.