The media could not be loaded, either because the server or network failed or because the format is not supported
I'm getting an error saying: "The media could not be loaded, either because the server or network failed or because the format is not supported."
I am sure i have encoded all of the videos properly. However in my browser I get the error message "The media could not be loaded, either because the server or network failed or because the format is not supported."
Your web server should be configured to serve mp4, ogg and webm mime types:
.mp4 - video/mp4
.ogg - video/ogv
.webm - video/webm
- If you are running IIS:
- Click the Windows Start button and select "Control Panel." Double-click the "Administrative Tasks" icon in the Control Panel. Double-click the "Internet Information Services (IIS)" icon to open the IIS console.
- Right-click the "Default Web Site" icon on the right side of the window pane. Select "Properties" from the list of menu items. This opens a configuration window for the website.
- Click the "HTTP Headers" tab in the configuration window. In the "MIME Type" section, click the "New Type" button to create a new MIME type.
- Type the file extension in the "Extension" text box. Enter the content type in the labeled text box underneath. For instance, if you are setting an MP4 MIME type, enter ".mp4" into the extension text box and "video/mp4" into the content type.
- Press the "Ok" button. This closes the properties window. You now have a MIME type set in IIS for the defined file extension.
- If you are running Apache:
- You can add the mime types to your Apache webserver configuration httpd.conf
- However if you do not have access to your webserver configuration files (for example, if you are using a shared hosting service) then you need to place a .htaccess file in your video folder and add following to it:
AddType audio/ogg .oga
AddType video/ogg .ogv .ogg
AddType video/webm .webm
AddType video/mp4 .mp4
For httpd.conf and .htaccess files you can place this information at the end of the file. If you do not have an .htaccess file you can just create a blank file and add this information (no other information is required).