Opera has released the latest version of two different mobile web browsers - Opera Mini 6 and Opera Mobile 11. Both new versions are now available for most mobile platforms excluding the Apple iOS versions. The Mini 6 is meant for feature phones while the Mobile 11 for the smartphones and tablets.
Opera for Android and Symbian
The latest versions of Opera mobile web browsers come with smoother operation, pinch-to-zoom support and also sport a share button to post it on Twitter or Facebook. Now if you are confused on why Opera has two different versions of mobile web browsers then read on to know the difference.
Opera Mini 6
Opera Mini 6 utilizes the Opera servers to squeeze the big web pages into small size using its patented data compression technology and then sends them to the mobile. Opera Mini 6 browser is meant for feature phones that support J2ME apps and also installable on Android, BlackBerry and Symbain 60 smartphones.
Opera Mobile 11
While the Opera Mobile 11 is meant for the smartphones running on Android, Symbian, Windows 7 desktop (labs release), MeeGo (labs release) and Maemo (labs release) platforms. Opera Mobile 11 uses the Presto layout engine - the same one used in the Opera desktop browsers. Apart from that, the Opera Mobile 11 web browser is ready to smoothly function with the HTML5 based web pages and web apps.
So what else is new? Here are the features:
- Modernized new user interface
- New UI optimized for tablet devices
- Faster framerates when panning and zooming
- No checkerboard, ever
- Text stays sharp during zooming
- Improved text-wrap on zoom
- Smart-tap, auto-zoom and highlights links if ambiguous link click
- Incremental zooming for devices w/o multi-touch
- Buttons for jumping to the top/bottom of the page
- Haptic feedback (if supported in hardware)
- Share URL on social networks, email etc
- Improved Geolocation support
- Session restore