HTML5 Slideshow Support Product Page

Answered

Image size (kb) and quality from DMX resizer

Asked 13 Dec 2012 10:03:29
has this question
13 Dec 2012 10:03:29 Ian Musk posted:
Included with Slideshow many products I have from DMX is the DMX image resizer. This is a great boon in many situations. Normally I import whole folders and keep the original files in a folder not included in the site files. This is because the DMX resizer puts the resized image and thumbnails in folders within the site. Personally I always switch off the feature for sharpening thumbnails, but that is a matter of taste. At first the DMX resizer seems great as it will cut down huge files to fit a specified pixel width and height. It is very much a great time saver. However, I see that although the resized files are smaller with regard to pixel width and height, the files are still very big with regard to kb size. I can take an image that has been resized in DMX resizer and run it through Photoshop save-to- web (which is not acknowledged as being the most efficient when it comes to optimizing files) and make a file which is 1/3 the size (in kb) of the resized image and still with the same pixel width and height. So I made an experiment. I first optimized a whole of load of images using PS save-to-web and made them the final pixel width and height I wanted. I then ran all these files though DMX resizer in such a way so as not to change the pixel width and height, but supposedly only to generate the thumbnails. Unfortunately what I found was that DMX resizer had made not only thumbnails, but also "resized" the main images in such a way that their pixels width and bredth were unchaged BUT the kb sizes were increased by a factor of up to 3 after the optimized images had gone though the resizer. My question is, therefore, how can I adjust the settings of DMX resizer so that it makes smaller files in terms of kb size and not just pixel width and breadth? It seems somewhat pointless to run folders of files through DMX resizer only to have to manually optimize the outputted files quite considerably. Any suggestions for a more appropriate work flow would also be appreciated.

Replies

Replied 13 Dec 2012 10:24:07
13 Dec 2012 10:24:07 Teodor Kuduschiev replied:
Hello Ian,

The resizer outputs the most optimal Images Size in px/ Size in kb. You cannot change the kb size properties.
Replied 13 Dec 2012 10:39:37
13 Dec 2012 10:39:37 Ian Musk replied:
That is a shame. Pictures that have gone through DMX resizer are consuming more bandwidth than is necessary and bandwidth has again become important now we are focussing on responsive designs that also work well over the mobile network.
Replied 30 Nov 2014 09:43:51
30 Nov 2014 09:43:51 David Woolley replied:
Also wondering about the quality settings that the Image Resizer outputs.
Are there different quality (compression) settings for large, normal & thumbnail sizes?
How do they compare to Fireworks or Photoshop (Save to Web) optimization settings?
Cheers
Dave
This reply was removed on 9/24/2015 7:17:46 AM.
See the changelog

Reply to this topic