App Connect Form Validator Support Product Page

Solved

App connect form validator not working for checking for duplicate records.

Reported 07 Dec 2017 02:23:44
have this problem
07 Dec 2017 02:23:44 Scott Christy posted:
I'm trying to validate form input to check if a record in the database already exists with the same email address. I've watched the video on www.dmxzone.com/go/32905/check-if-a-record-already-exists-in-your-database/

When following the same exact steps I keep getting the message below when I try to add a validator that checks for duplicate records before inserting a new record:

"You don't have HTML5 Form Validator Installed! Would you like to see more info?"

I have the following DMX zone extensions installed:
  • Database Updater ASP.NET - version 1.9.1
  • Server connect - version 1.6.2
  • App Connect Form Validator - version 1.0.2
  • Database connector asp.net - version 1.3.8
  • App Connect - version 1.3.8

My form validates for other things (ie required field, max length, alphabetic, numbers, etc). Why is the App connect form validator not giving me the screen to add validation for existing records?

Replies

Replied 08 Dec 2017 12:53:23
08 Dec 2017 12:53:23 Scott Christy replied:
Hellooooo? Anyone out there???
Replied 08 Dec 2017 13:40:23
08 Dec 2017 13:40:23 Teodor Kuduschiev replied:
Hi Scott,
We are going to check the issue and will let you know how to fix it.
Replied 08 Dec 2017 14:18:53
08 Dec 2017 14:18:53 Scott Christy replied:
Thanks. I'm putting together a project for my Web Design students for next week that requires this to work so any quick solution would be much appreciated.
Replied 21 Dec 2017 08:58:25
21 Dec 2017 08:58:25 Teodor Kuduschiev replied:
Please get the latest validator and server connect updates, the issue has been fixed there.
Replied 27 Dec 2017 15:58:39
27 Dec 2017 15:58:39 Scott Christy replied:
After much troubleshooting with this I finally got it to work. Here's what worked for me:

Background information - I'm creating a simple messageboard app as an ASP.net project for my students. One of the pages in the assignment is a form that allows new members to join the messageboard. The form must check to see if a USERLOGIN already exists and if it does, it needs to reject the form and make the user pick a different USERLOGIN for their account.

Initially I had:
Database Connection
Database Insert

Next I added a validate data step to check that the USERLOGIN entered into the form does not exist in the database. I added this before the Database Insert step. In my steps panel I ended up with the following steps in the exact order shown:
Database Connection
Validate Data
Database Insert

This did not work. The form still permitted multiple users with the same USERLOGIN.

I was going to try scrapping the whole form and try starting over but decided to try removing all of my action steps and trying again.
I added a database connection.
Then I added the Validate data step.
Next I right clicked on the Validate data step and added the Database Insert step.

By doing it this way it worked - if a user entered a USERLOGIN that already was in the database it rejected the form input as it was supposed to.

It probably shouldn't make any difference when the Validate Data step gets added as long as it is before the Database Insert step, but apparently it matters what order you create the steps.

Teodor, any idea why this is the case? Or is it possible that something was left behind after the recent extension updates that was causing my problem?
Replied 27 Dec 2017 16:08:28
27 Dec 2017 16:08:28 Teodor Kuduschiev replied:
Hello Scott,
It does not matter how do you add the insert step. The only thing you need to make sure is it is after the validate step. Everything after the validate step, when the validate is false, won't be executed. Probably some old files were left there, on your server.

Reply to this topic