Creating a Web Poll in Flash MX 2004: Pt. I Support Product Page

This topic was archived

PollData.aspx

Reported 23 Jan 2006 18:44:06
has this problem
23 Jan 2006 18:44:06 Je Mayes posted:
Hi: I have download all the tutorials for creating a poll and am excited to be able to use one on my site. I am not familiar with server language at all and I have been following most of the steps successfully. However, I can not the final instructions to work. I can't get my browser to pull up the PollData.aspx when I put localhost/poll/PollData.aspx. in the browser. I may have read the last page incorrectly but to me it never said to change any code. Do I need to change any code? I have all the files in my C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\poll folder and I have .Net installed on my Add/Remove Programs. I have installed IIS5 but I can't find it, is there a way to test to see if it has installed correctly? Thanks for the help!

Replies

Replied 23 Jan 2006 23:35:35
23 Jan 2006 23:35:35 Sas Jacobs replied:
Hi

If you've followed the instructions, you shouldn't need to change any of the server-side code. If IIS is working correctly, the help files should work on your PC.

You can test whether IIS is working by opening the location

localhost/

in a Web browser. If it's working correctly, you should see a start page. If you don't see this, you'll know that it isn't installed properly.

If you can't see the start page, unistall .NET and reinstall IIS from your Windows XP Pro CD. Then reinstall the .NET framework. The framework MUST be installed AFTER IIS.

Good luck

Sas

Replied 24 Jan 2006 05:51:00
24 Jan 2006 05:51:00 Je Mayes replied:
Thanks for your input. I tested IIS and I did get a start up page, so that is working. When I put localhost/poll/PollData.aspx in the browser it finds it but with errors. I checked the error details and it said:
Line: 7
Char: 9
Error: Expected ','
Code: 0
URL: localhost/poll/PollData.aspx

Also, when I paste all the completed files into the correct location and test the Flash file I recieve a radio button that has a "undefined" as a label. Any more ideas on what could be happening?
Replied 25 Jan 2006 00:11:19
25 Jan 2006 00:11:19 Sas Jacobs replied:
Hi

The completed resource files work on other computers so the problem is to do with your configuration of IIS. Let's test this by creating a really simple file so we can see where the problem might lie.

Make a new file called test.aspx containing the following

<%@ Page Language="VB" %>
<script runat="server">
Sub Page_Load(Src As Object, E As EventArgs)
response.write("Hello world"
End Sub
</script>

Save it into a folder called test in C:\InetPub\wwwroot

Load the following URL into your web browser

localhost/test/test.aspx

You should see the words Hello world in the browser window.

Let me know what happens.

Sas

Reply to this topic