PHP: Site Registration and Confirmation Completed Support Product Page

This topic was archived

Extend Series

Shared 15 Jul 2004 07:52:35
likes this idea
15 Jul 2004 07:52:35 Pat Johnston posted:
Thank you Allan for a fantastic series of a secure method of registering users and login scripts.

I have a request for extending the series to include content viewable/unviewable by the level users.

My example is:

To have a user the option to register for one of three categories of content, PREMIUM, STANDARD and FREE content (a user who wants to view FREE content only, still needs to register).

Access to any of these areas would be by sessions?!!

If a user registers for Premium, (registering at the highest level), they can view all three categories. If the user registers for Standard content, they can view Standard and Free only. A user who registers for free content, can't access the top two areas.

Can you see a system like this tie in to the present user level strategy of this series? One thing though, the administrator may need to update (or send email to) the 'paying user' manually upon reciept of payment (payment remains manual, not online).

Also, I am entirely grateful for easy to read explanations of how the code works in this series.

Regards, Pat

Replies

Replied 15 Jul 2004 10:12:25
15 Jul 2004 10:12:25 Allan Kent replied:
Hi Pat,

thanks for the kind words - good to hear that you're enjoying the articles!

What you want to do should be quite possible using the standard Dreamweaver server behaviors. All that you'll need to do is use the option to restrict access to pages depending on their level. I'll look into how exactly this can be done - if it's a quick and easy change I'll just post the instructions here, otherwise write it up as an article to post on the site.

Allan
Replied 15 Jul 2004 13:31:32
15 Jul 2004 13:31:32 Pat Johnston replied:
Thanks Allan for your reply
I have attempted to do this, but it's the user level that is the sticking point. Being used for the '0'/'1' level for validation of registration, I would need to allocate more levels ('2'/'3'/'4' etc), I would have thought, based on content they're allowed to view, where I see the registration process code becoming more complex.

I thought of using a another field in the table for content level separate from the user (registration) level, leaving the validation process untouched. This would mean more session management on pages.

Anyway, looking forward to your thoughts and/or article (if thats the case) on the matter
Thanks again..
Regards, Pat

-------------------------
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
Hi Pat,

thanks for the kind words - good to hear that you're enjoying the articles!

What you want to do should be quite possible using the standard Dreamweaver server behaviors. All that you'll need to do is use the option to restrict access to pages depending on their level. I'll look into how exactly this can be done - if it's a quick and easy change I'll just post the instructions here, otherwise write it up as an article to post on the site.

Allan
<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size=2 id=quote>

Reply to this topic