How Do I Make Content Editing Easy For My Clients?
Every WYSIWYG editor has its own advantages and disadvantages
As a web designer, in your daily workflow, you often face the never-ending content revisions requests from your clients. Usually those changes are limited to some point but wouldn't it be easier if they can just do it themselves? It will save you and them precious time and also will keep you focused on current projects. In this article we will review some of the best practices used in Web design for content editing, even for people that have no idea of HTML but yet very powerful and simple to use.
The Online Page
Editor Add-on is a real competitor to dominating products like Adobe Dreamweaver, Adobe Contribute or the use of a CMS. The Page Editor Add-on puts your users in control of their
website empowering them to edit live pages without the use of any extended CMS
Adobe Contribute will cost you $199, but that is just one
license per person. Your clients need to buy a license as well and that is the
big difference compared to the Online Page Editor Add-on. The Page editor costs
$35 without having to buy any licenses for your clients. With the Adobe
Business Catalyst again, you'll need expensive licenses (Adobe's Dreamweaver,
Business Catalyst and InContext Editing) and it won't let you create your own
templates from scratch, which will never let you create the perfect website
with editing independency for your clients.
Advantages and Disadvantages
- User-friendly editing with
preview in browser, spell-checking and drag&drop from MS Word and Excel.
- Check-in / check-out and
versioning (with rollback) (albeit on file system level).
- Basic workflow to publish content
in easy steps.
- A central administration module.
- Your will only be able to edit a
website on a machine that has Contribute installed.
- A web designer will still be
required to build the initial website.
- Updating website content through
Contribute may be slow.
- Coding must be done in Adobe Dreamweaver
or another web design program.
- Templates created using Adobe Dreamweaver
can be used in contribute as well.
- Adobe Contribute CS5 is only
available in English, French, German and Spanish.
Adobe Business Catalyst
+ InContext Editing
- It is a hosted online business
- Easy to skim the page, activate
and ready to edit.
- No need to know HTML or Web
- Expensive Adobe licenses needed
for designer and client
- The website looks is depends on
Content Management System
- A universal layout is created.
- Simplicity in design of the admin
- CMSs provide the facility to
control how content is published, when and by who.
- A CMS is too complex for a
non-expert just editing website content.
- Cost of implementation. Certain
CMSs may require hardware installations.
- Maintaining CMSs may require
license updates, upgrades, and hardware.
- Volume of files may be large in
- Larger CMSs can experience
Advanced HTML Editor 3
+ Online Page Editor Add-on
- It eliminates the need for
multiple programs to change simple errors such as changing spelling on a
- Several users can update a
- Administrators can ensure the
style, code and integrity of a website is preserved while allowing users to
update the site content.
- Very well prices compared to the
other WYSIWYG editors (source: OutSourceHouse).
Hi, I am Rob and proudly introduce myself as the Marketing manager of Dynamic Zones International BV.
That means that I am responsible for all sort of things like professional news articles, world leading premium content, the outraging Dreamweaver extensions & web components and helpful tutorials for the DMXzone community.
It's a honor to have the opportunity to participate and bring the DMXzone community to a whole new and stronger level with more high quality and superb DMXzone content for our loyal members.
See All Postings From Rob Nijkamp >>
Be the first to write a review
You must me logged in to write a review.