Forums

This topic is locked

www.activeoffice.net

Posted 08 Apr 2002 18:55:56
has voted
08 Apr 2002 18:55:56 Ryan Galloway posted:
developed in asp -vb & access
set up to serve an already large customer base who asked for an online method of ordering.

url [ www.activeoffice.net ]

Edited by - ryan on 15 Oct 2002 14:37:15

Replies

Replied 29 Sep 2002 18:26:25
29 Sep 2002 18:26:25 Rachid Abo replied:
Hello Ryan,

Nice job your'e site, really impressive.
I was wondering if your acces database can handle al those simultanuasly users. Cause they told me that an acces db can only handle a max of 7 users at once. Is this a fact Ryan?
I became paranoide when i heard this, thats why a made the conversion to Mysql_db even if i'm better in acces.

nope

Edited by - scoorprachid on 29 Sep 2002 18:28:24

Edited by - scoorprachid on 29 Sep 2002 18:30:44
Replied 30 Sep 2002 09:34:29
30 Sep 2002 09:34:29 Vince Baker replied:
Normally, an access 2000 db will accept upto 64 simultanious connections....

But I agree, may be worth looking at SQL server or MySQL for the future.

Regards
Vince

Response.write("The best line of code you can ever use"

VBScript | ASP | HTML | SQL | Oracle | Hosting
Replied 11 Oct 2002 15:27:59
11 Oct 2002 15:27:59 Viktor Farcic replied:
Look at the problem this way. MS Access is made to be desktop database. There were no intentions to make it work well on web.
There are many problems with Access on the web:
1. Number of actions (except reading) that can be performed at the same time is very limited. Once (long time ago), I've made a site that had "Banner rotating system". On every page load and for each banner on it, script was modifying number of impressions that was stored in Access. After few days and lots of errors, client decided to move to SQL Server.
2. Speed of retrieving data from Access is slow.
3. DB can't be modified online. That means that you need to download it, do whatever you need to do and upload it again. During this process, site is usually unavaillable.
4. Things you can do with Access are very limited. Access doesn't have (as in case of SQL Server) stored procedures, triggers... You, more or less, limited to tables and queries. That means that everything else must be done in page itself. That increases trafic between server and DB and slows down everything.
And so on, and so forth...

Once you start working with real DB's (SQL Server, My SQL, Oracle...), you'll see the difference. Money isn't the reason to stay with Access since My SQL is free.

P.S. Your site is currently unavailable.

Viktor Farcic
www.farcic.com
TalkZone Manager

Reply to this topic