Forums

This topic is locked

Give me your opinion

Posted 15 May 2002 22:04:07
has voted
15 May 2002 22:04:07 David Behan posted:
Hi,

I am looking for your opinion on our new website that I just launched. Anything you notice that is out of place, giving errors, etc. please tell me. Positive and negative feedback welcome as we will use it constructively.

www.site-manager.com/af.asp?a=11&l=1tds9p6x2

Thanks,

Dave

Replies

Replied 15 May 2002 23:36:52
15 May 2002 23:36:52 Owen Eastwick replied:
Nice, there are a few table background alignment and CSS text style issues in Netscape 4 - I don't know how bothered you are about this, but it would be a shame not to as they should be fairly easy to resolve .

Regards

Owen.

Multiple Parameter UD4 / Access 2000 Database Search Tutorial:
www.tdsf.co.uk/tdsfdemo

Edited by - oeastwick on 15 May 2002 23:38:37
Replied 15 May 2002 23:50:59
15 May 2002 23:50:59 David Behan replied:
I know why it is happening in netscape 4 but how do I fix it. I need to use those images as backgrounds as I am writing over them. Any suggestions on getting rid of those tiled backgrounds as you might call them?

Regards

Replied 16 May 2002 12:30:57
16 May 2002 12:30:57 Owen Eastwick replied:
Hi Dave,

It's difficult to give a definitive answer, I tend to sort them using a bit of trial and error.

However at I think I see what you've done. In netscape you can put a background image in a cell but you can't apply it to the table, it will repeat in each cell.

e.g. this works: <td background="SomeImage.gif">
this doesn't: <table width="500" background="SomeImage.gif">

So slice up the background images and place them in the cells, so cut your top backrounf into two parts a left and a right and it should sort that for you. Similarly the curve <b>secondnavcurve.gif</b> cut that into two background images for the upper and lower table cells that contain the links E-comerce, property etc.

With regard to CSS styes and text it's a similar issue:

This works: &lt;td class="BodyText"&gt;Blah Blah Blah&lt;/td&gt;
This works: &lt;span class="BodyText"&gt;Blah Blah Blah&lt;/span&gt;

This doesn't:

&lt;table width="500" border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" class="BodyText"&gt;
&lt;tr&gt;
&lt;td width="250"&gt;Blah Blah Blah&lt;/td&gt;
&lt;td width="250"&gt;Blah Blah Blah&lt;/td&gt;
&lt;/tr&gt;
&lt;/table&gt;

Hope that helps

Owen.
Replied 16 May 2002 12:59:58
16 May 2002 12:59:58 David Behan replied:
Cheers for the tips on the backgound images. The ecommerce, property, hosting, etc. links lie within their own table. They have no background image but are within a table with a background image and it is repeating in these to. If I set it to cell background - will that fix them.

CSS - I hadn't noticed that I had set the css for a table as I usually set it for a cell or row, etc. cause I came across that before. Cheers for the input - need to tweak a few of things on the site and its great when you get another designers eyes on it.

Cheers

Replied 21 May 2002 20:44:59
21 May 2002 20:44:59 David Behan replied:
Owen,

I fix most things for Netscape. What's your opinion now. Any way you think I can still improve it. Do you know of anyway I can make the left table continue all the way to the bottom of the page. It is annoying me like that. If not I'll just leave it.

Thanks

Replied 22 May 2002 00:22:55
22 May 2002 00:22:55 Owen Eastwick replied:
Nice one.

Regarding the Table on the left try setting its height to 100%, check it in Netscape though, it might try and make it 100% of the window height rather than just filling the table it's in.

If that doesn't sort it, perhaps it's time to call it quits, Netscape 4 users are down to around 10% now and let's face it these guys must be used to seeing some pretty messed up web pages.

Try: www.msn.co.uk in your Netscape 4 browser - Oh dear!
Really funny: www.netscape.com - You may spot a familiar problem at the top right of the page.

Regards

Owen.

Multiple Parameter UD4 / Access 2000 Database Search Tutorial:
www.tdsf.co.uk/tdsfdemo
Replied 22 May 2002 13:46:13
22 May 2002 13:46:13 David Behan replied:
Mate, that table is at 100% and that is whats happening. Just wondering if there was a way of fixing. Not to worry. Design work finished.

Thanks again...

Reply to this topic