Forums

This topic is locked

What's more important??

Posted 01 Jun 2002 06:05:26
has voted
01 Jun 2002 06:05:26 ryan valentine posted:
As a developer and as user of the vast internet what is more important to you? Would you be more please with a site that is Flashy (no pun intended) or well developed in function, i. e. a user trys to use the back button and it is disabled to stop a potential problem the a shopping cart.

Replies

Replied 02 Jun 2002 13:51:02
02 Jun 2002 13:51:02 Viktor Farcic replied:
My main goal when developing site is to make it work as good as possible (small and optimised pages, well written code...).
Flash is something I'm trying to avoid whenever it's possible. Flash is "Vector based web format" made for animations. In most cases, sites should be made with just few flash elements. Situations when there are reasons for site to be made completelly in flash are very rare (small sites only).

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
As a developer and as user of the vast internet what is more important to you? Would you be more please with a site that is Flashy (no pun intended) or well developed in function, i. e. a user trys to use the back button and it is disabled to stop a potential problem the a shopping cart.
<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size=2 id=quote>

Viktor Farcic

TalkZone Manager
Replied 02 Jun 2002 14:29:44
02 Jun 2002 14:29:44 Owen Eastwick replied:
Surely one doesn't have to rule out the other, why not build a site thats great to look at and works really well?

Regards

Owen.

Multiple Parameter UD4 / Access 2000 Database Search Tutorial:
www.tdsf.co.uk/tdsfdemo

Edited by - oeastwick on 02 Jun 2002 14:30:09
Replied 02 Jun 2002 23:00:05
02 Jun 2002 23:00:05 Dennis van Galen replied:
With Studio MX it's pretty hard to miss what is being pushed here and to be honest i don't blame them. With MX now being here there are alot of new options for the internet. The primary focus lies on usable, responsive websites / applications that bring added benefits to both hoster of the site and visitor, the minimising of data transfers. Which results in a general better experience and lower costs jump immediately to mind. People should embrace it with both arms wide open and NOT continue using flash for headache inducing movies that hurt your eyes as well.

I hate those sites and there's tons of them, most are easily fixed to be a pleasant experience.

I agree with Owen, a usable nice looking site is rewarded with subsequent visits from me.

With kind regards,

Dennis van Galen
Webmaster KPN Services
Financial and Information Services

Reply to this topic