Forums

This topic is locked

Starting from scratch. What would you choose?

Posted 05 Jul 2002 17:54:05
has voted
05 Jul 2002 17:54:05 Don Donzal posted:
I've searched the web for articles, forum posts, reviews and more, and I can't seem to find any stats on who is using what. I am curious about what technologies are being used out there now, what technologies excite you but haven't tried yet or what would you use if you had no legacy products or sites to worry about. So, I pose the following question:

If you were to start from scratch and money was not an issue, what would you choose as your development environment for DWMX and why?

I'm mostly interested in:
DB - SQL Server, Oracle, mySQL, Sybase...
Server-side - ColdFusion, ASP, ASP.net, PHP, JSP...

But please feel free to add extensions or other programs that you find most helpful.

Thanks in advance.

Replies

Replied 08 Jul 2002 09:22:41
08 Jul 2002 09:22:41 Viktor Farcic replied:
For server side scripting ASP.Net is, without doubt, best solution. Its fastest, richest, easiest... programming language ever made. Before ASP.Net you could choose between ASP or PHP. Both are, more or less, equally good with big resources support. But now... Once you get used to .Net you'll see that everything else isn't even close.

As for databases... It depends on your server side language choice. If you're going to work with ASP or .Net then SQL Server is logical choice (.Net even has special namespace for SQL Server - SQLAdapter). If not, then PHP-My SQL combination is the right one.

When choosing technologies, think about support. If you're in trouble and you're using ASP, ASP.Net or PHP, you'll pretty easy find solution for it by searching sites with resources or forums.
ColdFusion, JSP... are not accepted very well and amount of help you can get is limited.

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
I've searched the web for articles, forum posts, reviews and more, and I can't seem to find any stats on who is using what. I am curious about what technologies are being used out there now, what technologies excite you but haven't tried yet or what would you use if you had no legacy products or sites to worry about. So, I pose the following question:

If you were to start from scratch and money was not an issue, what would you choose as your development environment for DWMX and why?

I'm mostly interested in:
DB - SQL Server, Oracle, mySQL, Sybase...
Server-side - ColdFusion, ASP, ASP.net, PHP, JSP...

But please feel free to add extensions or other programs that you find most helpful.

Thanks in advance.
<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size=2 id=quote>

Viktor Farcic
www.farcic.com
TalkZone Manager

Edited by - vfarcic on 08 Jul 2002 09:25:38

Reply to this topic