Forums

PHP

This topic is locked

Encrypt/Decrypt Passwords to MySQL

Posted 25 Jul 2002 01:16:57
has voted
25 Jul 2002 01:16:57 Peter R posted:
Hey all,

I've been looking all over for a way to encrypt and decrypt passwords stored in MySQL. I've looked into crypt() and md5, but I'd like users to be able to use a "Forgot password?" system. This of course would mean that the passwords would have to be able to be decrypted.

So far the only thing I've seen is a module? for PHP called Mcrypt. But my sites are hosted and I can't install it.

Can anyone recommend a way of encrypting/decrypting data?

I thought I read an article long ago about a feature in unix or mysql itself?? Can't really remember anymore.

Peter

Replies

Replied 25 Jul 2002 15:15:09
25 Jul 2002 15:15:09 Michael O'Neill replied:
Encrypting and checking valid passwords is quite easy using crypt() with Phakt / php and UD4, I am sure you are aware that you do not have to decrypt the encrypted password to check the entered password's validity.I have a forgotten password system that sends the user a new random password and allows them to change this at will.
If you really want to sent the user their original password, I aint got a clue!!
Regards
Mike.

Edited by - carphone on 25 Jul 2002 15:18:59
Replied 20 Apr 2011 09:25:51
20 Apr 2011 09:25:51 code reflex replied:
QuoteHey all,

I've been looking all over for a way to encrypt and decrypt passwords stored in MySQL. I've looked into crypt() and md5, but I'd like users to be able to use a "Forgot password?" system. This of course would mean that the passwords would have to be able to be decrypted.

So far the only thing I've seen is a module? for PHP called Mcrypt. But my sites are hosted and I can't install it.

Can anyone recommend a way of encrypting/decrypting data?

I thought I read an article long ago about a feature in unix or mysql itself?? Can't really remember anymore.

Peter

[SOLVED] Follow the Link Below:

codereflex.net/how-to-encrypt-decrypt-in-mysql/

Reply to this topic