Forums

This topic is locked

MySQL vs. MS Access

Posted 23 Nov 2002 03:10:34
has voted
23 Nov 2002 03:10:34 Rob K posted:
Hi,

I am new to databases and web design but so I have a couple of newbie questions if some of you dont mind answering a few questions about MySQL.

I hear most people are using My SQL and they actually recommend MySQL over Access and I am curious to know why. What are the advantages of MySQL over MS Access? I am currently using Access but if it is limited then I will drop it and start to learn MySQL already. Next thing is I tried to install MySQL but am having difficulty figuring out which one to dowload and how to install it. If anyone knows a good beginner tutorial on installing and using MySql can you please post it.

Thanks,
Rob

Replies

Replied 23 Nov 2002 03:45:30
23 Nov 2002 03:45:30 Owen Eastwick replied:
The advantage of MySQL over Access is scalability, MySQL handles multiple user connections better and is far better suited to web applications.

However Access is far easier to use and set up "out of the box", to be quite frank I once messed about trying to set up MySQL for about 2 hours. I got nowhere, gave up and haven't bothered with it since.

However there are plenty of MySQL fans out there so I dare say that if you don't want to go the MS SQL Server route and have a bit more patience than I do, then it's the way to go.

Regards

Owen.

Multiple Parameter UD4 / Access 2000 Database Search Tutorial:
www.tdsf.co.uk/tdsfdemo
Replied 26 Nov 2002 04:00:00
26 Nov 2002 04:00:00 Dave Blohm replied:
If you have a clue enough to create dynamic web content then setting up mySQL isn't too trecherous (sp)...setting up mySQL is a lot easier on Windows than on *nix...but if you're asking about Access then you're on a Win platform anyway.

Access is a good PERSONAL database application, but is not server sofware and is not suited for simultaneous user connections...which web apps, by nature, require...

Best thing about mySQL...you get the DB power of MS SQL Server for free.

Doc
Rangewalk Digital Studios

Edited by - on 26 Nov 2002 04:02:21

Reply to this topic