Forums

This topic is locked

Syntax error in UPDATE statement

Posted 23 Dec 2002 19:56:21
has voted
23 Dec 2002 19:56:21 Jeremy Cornelius posted:
Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers (0x80040E14)
[Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] Syntax error in UPDATE statement.
/celebrat/html/editshow.asp, line 112

That's the error I get when I try to update a record using the update record behavior.

Line 112:
MM_editCmd.Execute

I get almost the same error when I use the insert record command. The error references the same line

I'd like to know what the permissions should be on the database and the directory the database is in.

All of the fields in the database are set to text. Allow zero length is set to yes.

I've tried almost every suggestion I can find on these forums. None have worked for me.

I'm running this internally right now on my Windows 2000 Pro workstation, so right now I full control to change add, delete almost anything. Currently using an Access 2000 database.

code is available here:
celebrationconcerts.net/editshowcode.html

Thanks for your input.

Replies

Replied 24 Dec 2002 23:17:49
24 Dec 2002 23:17:49 Jeff DeHaven replied:
I must admit I didnt have time to read the whole code, but here is a quick thought- by any chance are you trying to insert or update your tables unique or primary key / identifier? If this is the case, and the unique identifier is set to autonumber (ms access) or identity yes (SQL server), then that would be the problem-- one cannot insert or change these values - the database must perform that action on its own, and you would have to remove that field from inserting or updating.

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers (0x80040E14)
[Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] Syntax error in UPDATE statement.
/celebrat/html/editshow.asp, line 112

That's the error I get when I try to update a record using the update record behavior.

Line 112:
MM_editCmd.Execute

I get almost the same error when I use the insert record command. The error references the same line

I'd like to know what the permissions should be on the database and the directory the database is in.

All of the fields in the database are set to text. Allow zero length is set to yes.

I've tried almost every suggestion I can find on these forums. None have worked for me.

I'm running this internally right now on my Windows 2000 Pro workstation, so right now I full control to change add, delete almost anything. Currently using an Access 2000 database.

code is available here:
celebrationconcerts.net/editshowcode.html

Thanks for your input.

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size=2 id=quote>
Replied 16 Jan 2008 20:18:29
16 Jan 2008 20:18:29 mark mark replied:
But Dreamweaver requires a PRIMARY key in the Update Record behavior to correctly identify which record it is updating. I removed the 'update JobID' from HiddenJobID' in the popup window box, but up above that here is still the line that says 'get Primary Key from 'X' and X is set to JobID. So mine still fails even though I have removed any 'update' to the Primary key from the form itself. This is a BUG that I can't figure out.

ugg
Replied 17 Jan 2008 00:02:12
17 Jan 2008 00:02:12 Javier Castro replied:
check this out about your error message, perhaps one of them will give you an idea:
tutorials.aspfaq.com/8000xxxxx-errors/why-do-i-get-80040e14-errors.html

Check your column names as they can be using a reserved word.
Replied 17 Jan 2008 04:02:14
17 Jan 2008 04:02:14 mark mark replied:
Note to self and others...I kept beating at Dreamweaver , changing the page multiple times. Failed about a million times. So finally I meticulously analyzed the access database backend, and found I had some table connection off the primary key that might have been killing the update. I didn't need those, so I deleted them. Then I went through everyfiled, and found on one of my memo fields, it was set to 'Indexed' for some reason, when it was just an arbitrary text holder, not the RecID or primary key. So I changed this in Accesses design view, and resaved the database. Then I re-uploaded the databse to the Domain, and finally re-saved the page. Finally, dreamweavers update record page worked and could do the update on the table.

That memo field being set to 'indexed' by mistake brought the whole train to a halt. Dreameaver can't interact too well with all of Access's switches and settings. Simplest is best, in this case.

Reply to this topic