Forums

This topic is locked

Copyright

Posted 11 Jun 2003 23:09:57
has voted
11 Jun 2003 23:09:57 Eric Ross posted:
I need HELP. I am redesigning a photographer's website and he does not want his imaged stolen. Could anyone help me with a script that could place a copyright lock when some attempts to copy images off the web page. PLEASE HELP !!

An Apple a year keeps Blue screens of death away..

Replies

Replied 12 Jun 2003 13:05:40
12 Jun 2003 13:05:40 Julio Taylor replied:
You can disable right-click using javascript (www.hotscripts.com). Another good idea is to make the images appear on a mouse-over function, so that they are only visible which hovering on the title. However, images can always be stolen easily by either looking at the source, or taking a screenshot of the page and pasting it in photoshop.... it's a tough business protecting photos.

------------------------
Julio

PHP | MySQL | DWMX

MSN:
Replied 12 Jun 2003 14:20:05
12 Jun 2003 14:20:05 Marja Ribbers-de Vroed replied:
To add to that:
When a visitor views an image on a website, then that image is already on his computer, because the browser downloads the images and puts them in a temporary folder (caches it) on the client computer.
So although you can make it more difficult, e.g. by disabling the right click on the images, it's really not possible to prevent "stealing" of images.

I think the best way to make those photos 'safe' is to watermark them (in some graphics program).

Hope this helps.

--
Marja Ribbers-de Vroed
www.flevooware.nl
www.flevooware.nl/dreamweaver/
Replied 12 Jun 2003 15:52:29
12 Jun 2003 15:52:29 Julio Taylor replied:
... and to add some more

there are plenty of scripts out there that will allow you to watermark images in batches, which will save you a lot of time. i can't dicrect you to any but have a look around and i'm sure you'll find some.

although i just had a thought, MarjaR: what if pbking2k3 creates a gallery in Flash? the flash gallery will enbed all the images into one file, meaning that none of the images will be put accross onto the cache.

is that a good solution? although it might be too much hassle to do that unless you dynamically insert the contents of a folder into a flash gallery using PHP/XML as a connector. never tried it myself, just kinda throwing ideas.

------------------------
Julio

PHP | MySQL | DWMX

MSN:

Reply to this topic