Forums

This topic is locked

DW and the new .NET platform

Posted 15 Sep 2003 19:34:17
has voted
15 Sep 2003 19:34:17 Joy King posted:
Does the new DWMX version have better or more support for the new .NET platform? There are many things available through DMXZone, but all I see are ASP or PHP versions. Can I use the extensions I would purchase here for ASP (such as the random or bloom image viewers, smart image processor, pure asp upload, swiping/fading menu builders etc) in a site configured for the .NET platform--or would these have to be recoded in VB.NET/VBC# and JScript instead of the usual beScript and JavaScript that usually comes with pure ASP? I'm a real novice, but I understand some of the coding requrements for each platform. Do they integrate at all?Thanks!

Replies

Replied 16 Sep 2003 09:45:46
16 Sep 2003 09:45:46 Viktor Farcic replied:
Support for .Net SDK (and it's not new any more) isn't any better then it was. Actually, it's almost as good as using notepad.

You can use both asp/VBScript and ASP.Net on the same server. The problem is that there is no point in using ASP/VBScript any more and, on the other hand, Macromedia seems not to care about programers working with ASP. Anybody who things about himself as of programmer and is still working with ASP/VBScript must be crazy.

Viktor Farcic
www.farcic.com
TalkZone Manager
Replied 16 Sep 2003 22:53:23
16 Sep 2003 22:53:23 Joy King replied:
Thank you very, very much. Fortunately, I am in the enviable position of starting from scratch in learning platforms and scripting for the first time in whatever language I choose, and I am delighted to hear that going .NET instead of pure ASP/VBScript is not inherently a bad decision. My question, however, also related to how I can interface with DMXZone in relation to the products in pure ASP and JavaScript (instead of ASP.NET and JScript) that are among those offered for sale on your site by your MM extension developers. If I configure a site in DW for .NET and wish to use an ASP or JavaScript based exstension that fulfills the functions of, say, Smart Image Processor or Bloom Image Viewer, Swiping/Fading Menu Builders, etc. and it happens to be developed in VBScript/Javascript --can I still use it as is, or not? If coding and scripting has to be redone, will that be handled by DW behind the scenes as it currently does for writing html and importing JavaScript, or will I have to either re-code it myself or forego purchasing the products? Are any of these wonderful extensions developed for the .NET platform in ASP.NET? Or doesn't it really matter because I could run an ASP/VBScript image application on my web pages even though it integrates with the images in a shopping cart that is .NET? Sorry I am enough a novice at scripting that all this isn't obvious and I have to ask. Thanks!
Replied 19 Sep 2003 10:50:07
19 Sep 2003 10:50:07 Alex White replied:
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
Anybody who things about himself as of programmer and is still working with ASP/VBScript must be crazy.
<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size=2 id=quote>

Well thanks :rolleyes:

There are probably many people who are programmers and who are still working with non .Net ASP because it isn't all about creating brand spanking new sites but on working on large existing sites. They do it because it is their job and there is a massive installed base which hasn't been able to move over to ASP.Net yet.

Replied 19 Sep 2003 15:52:36
19 Sep 2003 15:52:36 Stuart Harland replied:
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
Anybody who things about himself as of programmer and is still working with ASP/VBScript must be crazy.
<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size=2 id=quote>
They do it because it is their job and there is a massive installed base which hasn't been able to move over to ASP.Net yet.

Like Alex, I think vfarcic’s statement is slightly foolhardy (no offense intended). It’s totally unfeasible to think you can just switch off using asp/vbscript when as lot of us still maintain a lot of major applications for clients based in asp/vbscript, and it’s totally impracticable for most clients to hand out the money to redevelop at such an early stage in .Net’s life.

Remember, .Net is still a beta framework, and a lot of companies are wary of this (although I don’t think they need to be).

I do prefer working with .Net, but I still have to work in classic asp for established client systems - it's not crazy, it's just how practical business operates.

Stuart - Ferox
Web Applications Developer
ASP.Net/ ASP

Edited by - Ferox101 on 19 Sep 2003 15:53:28
Replied 19 Sep 2003 20:37:45
19 Sep 2003 20:37:45 Joy King replied:
The dilemmas and opinions over competing scripts and platforms within the windows system, programmers' preferences, business realities, and how or if to make the switchover from one to the other is indeed interesting. But it has nothing to do with either my situation or the basic question I still need an answer for. Is anyone with all this experience and knowledge able to answer my question? Perhaps it is such a novice level question no one can believe anyone would be ignorant enough to ask it. Basically, I'm trying to find out if I can purchase and use DMXZone featured products or not.

I currently know essentially nothing and need to learn at least one of the scripting languages along with its platform. I will be using a .NET shopping cart for my site. If I configure my site for .NET in DW with ASP.NET server pages, can I still use the pure ASP extensions sold at DMXZone as-is in my site? Does everything everywhere have to be in ASP.NET and JScript that gets coded in to be able to be used at all? Would I be wasting my money to purchase the fading and sliding menu builders, for instance, if they are done in ASP+JavaScript because I woudn't be able to use them? If I can't use them, is there anything similar developed for the .NET platform available on DMXZone?
Perhaps someone who has developed one of these extensions for sale could let me know if I were to buy it could I use it on a .NET site --or what woud have to happen for me to be able to do that. Thanks.

Reply to this topic