Forums

This topic is locked

PLEASE CHECK MY SITE.

Posted 03 Nov 2003 19:02:40
has voted
03 Nov 2003 19:02:40 emma macdougall posted:
Hello everyone again i am having problems with my FTP i use Terrapin FTP that checks for faults while transferring the site to the web it says i have 89 faults on Dreamweaver but i can not seem to find any fault within Dreamweaver everything looks fine is there a way to check my site within Dreamweaver, ???
Also on the Index page I am having problems with the spacing between tables (how do i close the gap) what I mean if you look on the homepage scroll down the page beneath the picture where it says more pictures needed and you will see a table with links in it I would like to put this table higher up next to the next table but am unable to do so, so that’s why I have put a link to Battersea dogs home to disguise this fault I would like to close all the gaps in-between my website but am having trouble doing so HELLPPP
Thanks again Emma .
www.sophiemacdougall.fsnet.co.uk/
P.S I AM A NOVICE AT ALL THIS AND NOT AS GOOD AS YOU GUYS SO NO SLY COMMENTS ABOUT MY SITE (((please)))

Replies

Replied 07 Nov 2003 16:23:05
07 Nov 2003 16:23:05 Tim Knight replied:
Ok, first the tables.

Watch your use of the dreaded height attribute in your tables and td's. If you look in the code view around line 372 (i think that's the line) - or do a search for height="839" in the code area you should find the td for that yellow area on the bottom. Remove that height, you could then add a break "br" tag just before the table. You only really need to assign height to things that really need them - like images. Most times height will get added if you are dragging your tables in design view to make them longer.

Now, with your errors.

Click on the Window menu and select Results. There is a tab for Target Browser that will contain the errors that it found. (This way you should be able to show it in either MX or MX 2004 - MX 2004 however has a little next to the title field you can use as well to Show All Errors.

Many of your errors are regarding your general table coloring. If you are running 2004 you may wish to look into it's CSS abilities to manage your table and font stylings. Your code will come out cleaner and typically run much faster.

**EDIT ADDED LATER***
You may also wish to run the Dreamweaver HTML clean up. I noticed in your code many font tags that probably could be combine. I ran it (it will take a little bit so go get some coffee) and was able to remove 191 empty tags, 673 redundant tags, and combined 375 font tags. This brought that page size from 53.8KB to 33.7KB a big drop.

Just click on the menu Commands, and then select "Clean Up HTML". Make sure you have checked "Empty Container Tags", "Redundant nested tags", and to "Combine nested font tags". You could even add the option to show you the log when you are completed that why you can how many of each where found.
**END EDIT***

I hope that helps.

Timothy Knight
MCSE, A+, N+, I-Net+, BCIP, MCIW

Edited by - timknight on 07 Nov 2003 16:35:38

Reply to this topic