Forums

This topic is locked

need help emailing a form

Posted 17 Aug 2004 21:15:11
has voted
17 Aug 2004 21:15:11 stevie brady posted:
i have already created a form...set the action to email to: me@... and set to post...and when i upload the form to my ftp server...the page cannot be displayed when i enter info and hit submit....
its looking for www.whatever.com/my email address....and won't display a page....
what can i do from here....
i am a beginner to intermediate...so be gentle....lol

Replies

Replied 17 Aug 2004 22:25:03
17 Aug 2004 22:25:03 Dave Thomas replied:
you having your mail address as the action for the form wouldnt stop the page displaying. the error must lie elsewhere.

and to send a form thru email it needs to have a prcoessing script in cgi, php or asp etc..

to do what your doing you dont even need a form you could simply write

<pre id=code><font face=courier size=2 id=code>
&lt;a href="mailto: ?Subject=Whatever"&gt;Email Me Here&lt;/a&gt;
</font id=code></pre id=code>

all your code will do is pop open your default mail client, ie outlook etc.. and no information from the form will be submitted.
There are hundreds of mail scripts available, all depending on what your host supports.

Regards,
Dave

[DWMX 2004]|[FlashMX 2004 Pro]|[SQL]|[Access2000]|[ASP/VBScript]|[XP-Pro]
Replied 17 Aug 2004 22:30:22
17 Aug 2004 22:30:22 stevie brady replied:
so if i wanted to email the entire form...i would need a processing script....??

my site is hosted on a remote server...would the script need to lie on the root of that server...??

this form is an online menu...will all of the ascii text get emailed...or only the text boxes...??

thanks
Replied 17 Aug 2004 22:36:49
17 Aug 2004 22:36:49 Dave Thomas replied:
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote> so if i wanted to email the entire form...i would need a processing script....??
<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size=2 id=quote>
Yes

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>my site is hosted on a remote server...would the script need to lie on the root of that server...?? <hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size=2 id=quote>
Yes, or somewhere where the form page could access it.

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
this form is an online menu...will all of the ascii text get emailed...or only the text boxes...?? <hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size=2 id=quote>
text boxes will, not sure what you mean about the ascii

Regards,
Dave

Replied 17 Aug 2004 22:43:09
17 Aug 2004 22:43:09 stevie brady replied:
do you know of any sample scripts...or any other discussions on this topic...

im new to scripts...and would love to see some samples...

thanks UD
Replied 17 Aug 2004 22:46:24
17 Aug 2004 22:46:24 Dave Thomas replied:
www.webwizguide.info

that site has a great tutorial and download on CDONTS for asp, thats what i use to send my forms.

or just do a google for CDONTS scripts

Regards,
Dave

Replied 17 Aug 2004 22:55:38
17 Aug 2004 22:55:38 stevie brady replied:
thanks a bunch !!
great help...!!

sb
Replied 23 Aug 2004 19:07:31
23 Aug 2004 19:07:31 Carl Grint replied:
I have a free tutorial on building a Form to Email, in both CDonts and CDOSYS,

URL = www.cgw3.co.uk/tutorials/list.asp?CategoryID=3

both tutorials are listed in this category, both are complete with working example files.

Web Development Consultant
providing web development services including Web site design and development, the complete development of Intranets/Extranets and a wide range of Web applications.
Details can be viewed at www.cgw3.co.uk

Reply to this topic