Forums

This topic is locked

domain name

Posted 06 Jun 2005 15:08:36
has voted
06 Jun 2005 15:08:36 Evan White posted:
is there any way that i can get a regular domain name with out having to buy a package from a host when i have IIS. Do i have to get my own server?

Replies

Replied 08 Jun 2005 15:02:59
08 Jun 2005 15:02:59 Matt Bailey replied:
If I understand you correctly yes you can buy just the domain name, you don't have to buy a hosting package as well. If you're in the UK there are companies such as www.ukreg.com that you can buy from. Domain names are dirt cheap, about £3 per annum for a .co.uk and £9 per annum for a .com.

Hope that helps.

Replied 02 Feb 2006 19:09:41
02 Feb 2006 19:09:41 Joshua Yip replied:
Hello,

If I do get you correctly, you are trying to setup your own web site in your own IIS. I think you will need a static IP working on your IIS server, and also subscribe to DNS (domain name server) from any web hosting provider. Basically this will mean whenever ppl type www.yourdomain.co.uk, the first thing is your browser will query the domain name server, to find your server IP. Then points it to you.

So having just a domain name may not work if you are trying to setup a web site in your IIS. You can try looking into solutions from www.no-ip.com, they providing naming services even if your IP is dynamic.

Hope this helps

Joshua

Reply to this topic