Forums

CSS

This topic is locked

CSS Layout Issues

Posted 12 Sep 2005 19:44:40
has voted
12 Sep 2005 19:44:40 Christopher Beckwith posted:
Hey Everyone!

I'm a graphic artist and pro at tables, but love the idea of CSS layouts, but new to it. I created a page designed all in CSS with a banner, left column, main content area and footer. Which came out fine. However couple things I cant seem to get to work.

I created all my divs but typing in #then the name of it in my css file. However now I want to add content to my main content div. I can type text in it fine, and insert a table, but how do I divide the main content div into containers?

That is I have 3 images I want in the main content area, that I want to be positioned perfectly and then be able to place dynamic text from a mysql databse over it. I know instead of creating 1 content div i could create 3, but then when I want to use the same page template for another page where I dont want it broken up into three containers I would need another css file.

Im sure this is very basic, but still have no idea how to do it.

Also, I know I could easily add a layer and position it where I want, but when I add layers they position accroding to the broswer so they move all the time and dont match the content i created with divs.

Any help would be appreaciated, or links to sites that can help, since Im a fast learner from examples and what not.

Chris

Replies

Replied 13 Sep 2005 19:30:41
13 Sep 2005 19:30:41 Dave Thomas replied:
all you need to do rather than creating spereate style sheets for the layout is just put all the styles into one. It doesn't matter if they are never used, but the point is they can be if and when needed.

so, build your style sheet as normal, and then i'd go through the different things i wanted on the different pages and add them in 1 by 1 making sure they work as you go. then on your home page you might just call #content and #contentbox, but on the news page call #content, #contentbox, and #newsbox. u dig?

have a look at some of the free premium content for CSS, there's some good stuff in there, and if you want to purchase any, go for the multi-box layout tutorial , it's the one that will make it all fit together.

css zen garden, bluerobot, eric meyer, a list apart. some great sites to look at and find out a bit more when u got some time.

regards

Dave Thomas
<b>DMX Zone Manager</b>

Reply to this topic