Forums

This topic is locked

htm overriding html?

Posted 11 Mar 2008 15:03:06
has voted
11 Mar 2008 15:03:06 Nancy Rector posted:
Preview
Have the internet gods made some changes? My htm's are now overriding html. And html is overridding php.

Thanks!
Nancy

Replies

Replied 11 Mar 2008 20:42:55
11 Mar 2008 20:42:55 Alan C replied:
Hi Nancy,
if you are using a server that runs linux then there is a setup item DirectoryIndex followed by a list of filenames in an order that is set for that particular server, here's an example from . . . . blog.dreamhosters.com/kbase/index.cgi?area=1780

<font face='Andale Mono'>DirectoryIndex index.html index.shtml index.htm Index.html Index.htm Index.shtml default.htm Default.htm default.html Default.html default.shtml Default.shtml page1.html index.pl index.cgi index.php index.php3 index.phtml home.htm home.html home.shtml index.wml

As long as you name your "index" file any one of those things, it will work!

If you have two files with names from that list, Apache will show the one that shows up first (e.g. index.html will show up, even if you have an index.php file in the same directory).</font id='Andale Mono'>

it's worth checking that out with your hosting company
Replied 12 Mar 2008 16:20:43
12 Mar 2008 16:20:43 Nancy Rector replied:

Thanks so much Alan. I've checked the cpanel and can't find a setting but I will email the host. Odd thing is I've used this host for years and the problem just started occuring.

Appreciate you pointing me in the right direction!
Nancy

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
Hi Nancy,
if you are using a server that runs linux then there is a setup item DirectoryIndex followed by a list of filenames in an order that is set for that particular server, here's an example from . . . . blog.dreamhosters.com/kbase/index.cgi?area=1780

<font face='Andale Mono'>DirectoryIndex index.html index.shtml index.htm Index.html Index.htm Index.shtml default.htm Default.htm default.html Default.html default.shtml Default.shtml page1.html index.pl index.cgi index.php index.php3 index.phtml home.htm home.html home.shtml index.wml

As long as you name your "index" file any one of those things, it will work!

If you have two files with names from that list, Apache will show the one that shows up first (e.g. index.html will show up, even if you have an index.php file in the same directory).</font id='Andale Mono'>

it's worth checking that out with your hosting company
<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size=2 id=quote>

Reply to this topic