Forums

This topic is locked

Bugs in the Forum Itself after your 2.0 "upgrade"

Posted 02 Feb 2009 23:50:48
has voted
02 Feb 2009 23:50:48 Joel Rea posted:
Oh for Pete's sake!

What did you guys do to your Forums in "Dynamic Zones 2.0"!?

I'm a typography geek, among other things. Seeing inch-marks instead of true opening and closing quotes, or foot-marks instead of true apostrophes, or hyphens instead of true dashes, hurts my teeth. Being forced to type them is even more agonizing for me! I have quit Forums that force me to do this. Not to mention that when people have names in languages other than English that have accented vowels or some such, I expect to be able to both see and type them as they should be!

Yours used to allow this. Now, though, regardless of whether using HTML Named Entities (e.g. "—" for an Em Dash), HTML ANSI Numeric Entities (e.g. "—" for an Em Dash), HTML Decimal Unicode Numeric Entities (e.g. "—" for an Em Dash), HTML Hexadecimal Unicode Numeric Entities (e.g. "—" for an Em Dash), or directly typing in the ANSI character (e.g. holding down [Alt] while pressing and releasing the following keys, in this sequence, on the Numeric Keypad only!: [0 Ins]. [1 End], [5 ], and finally [1 End] again [thus the number "0151"], then releasing the [Alt] key, like this: "—", I no longer get an Em Dash!

If I type an Entity, I get the HTML of the Entity, ampersand and semicolon and all. If I type in a character directly, it looks like it converts it to garbage characters similar to what a user would see when attempting to display a Unicode Transform Format 8-bit (UTF-8) page on a Web browser that has its Encoding hard-set to ISO or ANSI (or if the page lacks a proper "charset" Meta tag), except you guys have actually hard-coded that garbage! When Viewing Source, I see HTML Decimal Entities for the garbage characters!

Then, if I Edit the page, the garbage characters themselves get replaced with more garbage characters, and the problem accumulates!

Here's what happened to the word "I'm" with a real apostrophe (single closing quote, aka right single quote, aka "’" directly typed in as an ANSI character, after only three edits (trying to fix it):

"I’m" -- it will likely be even worse in this post because it will convert the garbage into even more garbage!

And here's what what I pasted looks like in HTML View Source: "I’m"

Any of the numbers > 255 (e.g. "€" or even "š" are Unicode-only values. The others could be ASCII or ISO/ANSI.

Why!?!? You're a German company, fer cryin' out loud! You guys have to type umlauts and double-ess characters and such all the time! I can understand some myopic American company thinking that they can get away with forcing straight ANSI/ISO or (worse) ASCII on people in this day and age, but the world has moved on to Unicode years ago! You even do have the proper charset="utf-8" Meta tag at the top of these Forum pages!

Reply to this topic