Forums

ASP

This topic is locked

Filtering from List/menu options

Posted 15 Sep 2009 16:04:28
has voted
15 Sep 2009 16:04:28 Allan O'Hagan posted:
Hi, first post here and not really worked with Dreamweaver for around 7 years, so really rusty, and have no direct asp coding knowledge, so my question is

I have an insert form that uses various recordsets to update a table and this works fine for me so far, the database is an internal database that I am building

I have a database on the same server from a third party and I would like to use this to pull certain information and update some information into my own database, so far I have managed to do that, but would not be good for users

I pull the client code from the database from the third party (primary key) and insert that into my own table on my database and that works, what I would like to do is filter a textfield on the form so that once the client code is selected it populates the text field with the client name so that the user knows that is the correct client they are working on and they can fill in the rest of the form

I hope this makes some sense

I am happy to get down and dirty in the coding if need be and doing some sql is not a problem

thank you

Replies

Replied 16 Sep 2009 17:57:30
16 Sep 2009 17:57:30 Patrick Julicher replied:
Hi Allen,

I'm not sure if I understand correctly. Do you want to add a list/menu that is loaded from a database and after selection load specific text into a text field?

Kind regards, Patrick
Replied 17 Sep 2009 11:00:25
17 Sep 2009 11:00:25 Allan O'Hagan replied:
that is correct

thanks
Replied 17 Sep 2009 15:00:14
17 Sep 2009 15:00:14 Patrick Julicher replied:
Hi Allan,

You might want to try to use a jump menu instead of a list/menu. When a users selects an item from the jump menu, it reloads the page with a URL parameter. Depending on that URL parameter a recordset filters the data to display in the textfield. Make sure the jump menu is hidden when the page containa an URL parameter.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards, Patrick
Replied 17 Sep 2009 15:46:55
17 Sep 2009 15:46:55 Allan O'Hagan replied:
can the jump menu contain the client codes from the database and the text field would just be a dynamic field with the clients name in it

thanks
Replied 17 Sep 2009 21:35:24
17 Sep 2009 21:35:24 Patrick Julicher replied:
Quotecan the jump menu contain the client codes from the database and the text field would just be a dynamic field with the clients name in it

thanks

Hi Allan,

This is exactly what is possible. For the jumpmenu to contain the client codes from the database, first insert a static jump menu and then handcode the database content. Make sure you set the current page as a link, and (I think) the client code as the URL parameter......

Kind regards, Patrick

Reply to this topic