Forums

This topic is locked

General, initial advice sought, please.

Posted 31 Oct 2010 04:42:33
has voted
31 Oct 2010 04:42:33 Marty Wade posted:
Hello, there.

I created a web site four years ago from scratch, learning as I went, and now it's time for a complete face-lift/overhaul.

I will have to 'relearn' my HTML and CSS, etc., and I was wondering where on the web would be some helpful resources for obtaining
advice regarding requirement options.

Specifically, are fora such as this the best place to seek advice on how to put the various components of a web site together, or do
sites exist which can make recommendations?

For informational purposes, here is an outline of what I'd like to achieve:

A site that is essentially for members only, but with some public pages.

There will be a 'registration' form which forwards an email to me for approval, a 'log-in' menu item which when filled by approved members will allow access to a forum and a photo gallery which allows members to easily upload images for all other members to view.

I'd like to find specific suggestions for achieving the following, bearing in mind that most of the members will be hopelessly non-technically-minded:

1) I currently use scripts called 'ezUserManager' <ezusermanager.com/download.php> and would like to know where I can find other options (preferably simpler) for achieving the same result (member registration, etc.) The host that I use (Servage) now has 'Mollify' as an auto-install. Is this a decent method to use? Are there simpler options?

2) Servage also has MYBB 1.4, PHBB 3, PunBB 1 and SMF as auto-install options for 'discussion boards'. What would be the simplest-to-use option out of those, and are there better that I could use?
I have seen mention in this forum of VBulletin, Vanilla, and Invision. Are these viable options?

3) My host options for a photo gallery are either Coppermine, or Gallery 2. Can these be made 'easy to use' for luddites and again, would there be better/easier options?

4) I have never used a CMS before, and Servage offers the following: CMS Made Simple, Drupal v6, E107, Joomla, PHPFusion, REDAXO, Typo3 (Professional) and Typo3 Introduction (Basic).
Bearing in mind that I would only be adding the odd 'news' or 'links' item every now-and-then, I so far have been unable to see any benefit from using a CMS.
I'm not going to run a 'blog', so is there really any need for a CMS?

5) I have never used Javascript or anything other than HTML and CSS, but am willing to take advice re. that sort of thing.

6) I use Aptana (badly) and Amaya currently for coding. Does anybody have any other suggestions for user-friendly, freeware or open-source, possibly WYSIWYG editors?

Again, please let me know if this is not the right place for this sort of inquiry, and I'm more than happy to be directed to more appropriate resources for asking these sorts of questions, and don't forget I'm looking for easy usability for the non-technically-minded.

All suggestions will be very gratefully received. Thank-you in advance.

Replies

Replied 30 Nov 2010 10:58:22
30 Nov 2010 10:58:22 Marty Wade replied:
Um.... Where is the reply?

I see nothing.

Cheers.

On 29/11/2010 5:51 PM, wrote:
>
> Dear Marty,
>
> You subscribed to the topic General, initial advice sought, please..
>
> There is a new reply on the topic
>
> The DMXzone team
Replied 30 Nov 2010 13:21:08
30 Nov 2010 13:21:08 Patrick Woldberg replied:
The reply was probably a spam message that was deleted.

For your questions, it is very personal and every person have it's own favorites.

Check the Bulletin Boards and CMS sites to see if it contains most of the features you look for. Most of the CMS and Bulletin Boards can also be extended with plugins like galleries to fit your needs. Even WordPress can be used as a CMS to build a simple site.
Replied 01 Dec 2010 11:14:14
01 Dec 2010 11:14:14 Marty Wade replied:
Thank-you for the reply, Patrick.

Drupal has been recommended to me. Do you know if it would have all the elements I require (with add-ons/plug-ins)?

Cheers.
Replied 01 Dec 2010 13:11:04
01 Dec 2010 13:11:04 Patrick Woldberg replied:
On the Drupal site in the Modules section you can find all kind of plugins, you can filter on category, for example media to look for a gallery addon.

For more questions you can probably best ask in the drupal forums.
Replied 26 Feb 2011 12:49:34
26 Feb 2011 12:49:34 duc quang replied:
I like joomla and phpbb
also drupal is so nice too

Reply to this topic