Forums

This topic is locked

String to local SQL database server from godaddy

Posted 08 Apr 2012 18:39:51
has voted
08 Apr 2012 18:39:51 Somjad P posted:
Hello everyone,

I was hoping that someone can lead me in the right direction. I have Dreamweaver CS3/5 and use Godaddy as a host with ASP pages. I use a DSN connection to a SQL database on their server which works fine. What I would like to do is create a second DSN connection to another SQL database behind a Firewall on my local domain and display that data on the same ASP page. I cannot use the "Dreamweaver should connect using DSN on my testing server" option since I can not create a Systems DSN on their server.

When I am at the office or on my VPN, I use the local DSN connection to the local SQL Server behind the firewall and can see the database just fine when creating the pages and trying to run the queries using the "Dreamweaver should connect using local DSN" setting. When I try to upload the ASP page to godaddy's server however, that is when the fun begins. I get a 500 error when I try to view that page. I also uploaded the file from the "connection" folder which refers to the DSN connection that contains the folowing code:

<%
' FileName="Connection_odbc_conn_dsn.htm"
' Type="ADO"
' DesigntimeType="ADO"
' HTTP="true"
' Catalog=""
' Schema=""
Dim MM_gmdatadsn_STRING
MM_gmdatadsn_STRING = "dsn=bcgoldmdsn;uid=xxx;pwd=xxx;"
%>

The local SQL Server has an internal 192.168.x.x ip address and has IIS running on it. Just for testing I created a new site (we can call it SITE2 in dreamweaver)and created a test page and uploaded it to the local IIS server and am able to see the data from the local DSN connection from the local SQL server. I then forwarded traffic from my firewall's public IP address using port 8000 to the local SQL/IIS Server of 192.168.x.x. I can see data from the SQL server being displayed on that asp page when I am outside my firewall.

So my delema is what modifications do i need to make on that connection dsn file in order to be able to connect to the local SQL server. I looked through several places for the right string and cann't seem to get the right string combonation. To add to the complexity of this...I also created another Systems DSN connection that connects to another SQL server on the domain. That second server does not have IIS running on it but I can see the data just fine using the local DSN connection in SITE2. Locally SITE2 works wonderfully but the main site with Godaddy does not.

Any suggestions would be appreciated since my brain is not working overtime today. The local SQL server is version 2005 and the second SQL server is version 2008. I would like to use the SQL Server driver unless it is better to use the Native 9.0 or .10 drivers in which case I will have to update the drivers on both servers. Is the issue getting the right SQL Connection string or is it better to create some sort of "include file" with all 3 database connection strings information in it? Thank you in advance and Happy Easter!

Jade

Reply to this topic