Forums

ASP

This topic is locked

QuickClick

Posted 08 Mar 2001 14:38:59
has voted
08 Mar 2001 14:38:59 Kelly Brady posted:
I am trying to find a way to be able the have viewers of my web site click on special industry related words that I predefine in a SQL database.

If the selected words appear on any page within the web site I want the word to be marked, maybe using css, and the viewer could then click on it to gets its definition again coming from the database.

Write now I have a client side java script that will allow a viewer to double click on any word in the web site and whether or not that word is in the database a pop-window will appear. After the word has been passed I then query it on the pop-window page and give the results to any word.

Again if there is any way I could mark these words that have been populated in the database so that viewer knows that these are words that are in the database. Any help would help! Thanks

Replies

Replied 08 Mar 2001 20:44:59
08 Mar 2001 20:44:59 Waldo Smeets replied:
I'm looking for the same functionality for the website I'm building for the company I work for. I want to link all the legal words in a document to a database. I would even prefer a popup layer. I'll let you know when I find out how to do this. Please do the same when you have found some additional info.

Waldo Smeets - www.UDzone.com Webmaster
------------------------------------------
www.UDzone.com : A Dreamweaver, Ultradev and Fireworks recourse site for developers
by developers.
------------------------------------------
Replied 08 Mar 2001 23:43:51
08 Mar 2001 23:43:51 Kelly Brady replied:
I will let you know. Here is the latest that I found out:

Well, it may slow your app down, but before the page loads, do a check of available words and place them in an array (do you see for large pages this may hinder performance?)

I think the solution you have now is a better way to go.

BTW -- how many records are in your database? If this is for some special jargon, it may not be very large, and you'll be okay. If that's the case (say, > 1,000 records), go ahead and blast them down into a client array. Let's hope your customers aren't running a 28K modem

Reply to this topic