Forums

This topic is locked

uploading mysql

Posted 09 Mar 2001 09:39:57
has voted
09 Mar 2001 09:39:57 Leon Radley posted:
Can someone please clarify this for me
I have a mysql database on my computer, the server and myodbc is on my computer, thats working fine

is MySQL the same as sql, so if my host on the net, has SQL how do I upload the mysql database and set the dsn up properly. or does the provider need to have mysql server

and since i have a free provider is there any possibility to upload the database and the connect to it as easy as with an access database? there you just upload it to what ever folder you want to and then use a server.mappath, is this possible, couse the way I see it you have to upload the mysql database into the /data/ of the mysql folder and then set up a userdsn to be able to connect to it through odbc?

please give me some tips.

// Leon

Replies

Replied 14 Mar 2001 08:36:29
14 Mar 2001 08:36:29 swank y replied:
Here is one way I know, but I'm sure there are others...

This apply's to geting Access database 'uploaded' to mySQL but you and also use it to connect two differnt mySQL data-sources (it's important to remember that mySQL is in fact a server..)

Accessing your mySQL database with MS Access

Once you have your website configured to use mysql, you may need to make updated to your database. This can be done using Telnet and the mysql client from the unix command line, but you can also open your database directly with Microsoft Access.

First you must download the current version of myODBC from the mySQL page. You do not need the source code, just the full setup for your version of windows.
Next you must install myODBC. Unpack the file you just downloaded and run the enclosed Setup (make sure to close any other applications before running setup). You should select the MySQL driver from the list of available drivers (there should only be one!) and click OK to install the driver.
Next you will see a "Data Sources" window. Select "add", and on the next window scroll down and select "MySQL", click "OK".

You will then see a large window with fields you must complete. Use the following info:
Windows DSN Name : a name to reference this connection by
Mysql Host : anvil.thebook.com
Mysql Database Name : DB Name provided by TheBook when mySQL was set up (Example database: thebookdemo)
User : DB username provided by TheBook when mySQL was set up (Example DB Username: thebookdemo)
Password : DB password provided by TheBook when mySQL was set up (Example DB Password: example
You can ignore the fields for "port" and "SQL command line".

Start Access.
Cancel the open dialog that initially pops up.
Click File -> OPen to open your mysql Database.
In the Open window, near the bottom, select "ODBC()" from the list of file types -- a new window will be displayed.
You should see the name of the Data Source you created, select it for opening -- you should then see a list of tables!
Use any access commands...

Please see the MS Access documentation for information on generating an Access query against the database.

Replied 12 Apr 2001 00:30:50
12 Apr 2001 00:30:50 Marcellino Bommezijn replied:
Walk through this tutorial on devshed.com and some things will get more clear on how to use mysql/access to insert/update data.

www.devshed.com/Server_Side/MySQL/ODBC/

Reply to this topic