Forums

PHP

This topic is locked

PHP + Mac + Driver = Asprin

Posted 20 Jul 2001 12:54:39
has voted
20 Jul 2001 12:54:39 nigel morris posted:
Re install PHAkt Or am I a Fuckwit

Quote"- If you want to connect using native JDBC drivers, you will have to download an appropriate driver for your database and to put it in the Configuration/JDBCDrivers (windows) or in the System Folder/Extensions/MRJ Library/MRJClasses/ folder (MAC)."

Does anyone have a link for an Access driver?

Replies

Replied 20 Jul 2001 16:01:23
20 Jul 2001 16:01:23 Waldo Smeets replied:
Topic moved to PHP forum.

Waldo Smeets - www.UDzone.com Webmaster
------------------------------------------
www.UDzone.com : A dynamic Dreamweaver,
Ultradev and Fireworks site for developers
by developers.
------------------------------------------
Replied 20 Jul 2001 19:12:09
20 Jul 2001 19:12:09 Tim Green replied:
Try industry.java.sun.com/products/jdbc/drivers for all your JDBC driver needs...

Tim Green
Webmaster
www.rawveg.org (Coming Soon)
Replied 21 Jul 2001 02:44:48
21 Jul 2001 02:44:48 kim monaco replied:
Do you need a windows machine to test your php pages on a mac, like you would if you were writing asp pages?
kim

Replied 21 Jul 2001 14:26:57
21 Jul 2001 14:26:57 Tim Green replied:
You shouldn't need a Windows machine specifically to test provided that you have a webserver running that is capable of running the PHP interpreter.

OSX can quite easily run Apache/PHP/MySQL servers, though I don't know of the specifics if you're using earlier version of the Mac OS.

As a side-point, many people now choose to get an old computer (usually a 486 or low-spec pentium) and install one of the many versions of Linux available. This provides a cheap way of setting up a development server without having to resort to purchasing Windows or any of it's related software.

Tim Green
Webmaster
Replied 23 Jul 2001 10:20:28
23 Jul 2001 10:20:28 nigel morris replied:
I test the pages on a pc and the connection works using php/ultradev on a pc network, but maybe this is using a odbc connection?

Do I need the JDBC Drivers for Access on both machines?

Do I have too pay for the privilage?

Do I stick to ASP?

It makes you scream!

thax in anticipation
Replied 23 Jul 2001 10:39:56
23 Jul 2001 10:39:56 Tim Green replied:
The problem that you are going to face is that if you are trying to use an Access database on anything other than a PC then you are going to need to set up either ODBC or JDBC. If you're using OSX, or if your server is Unix/Linux based you can use a free version of ODBC called UnixODBC. However, it isn't necessarily that easy on a MAC.

You don't state if your deployment server is actually a Macintosh or not. This information is crucial.

Unfortunately PHAkT and UD are relatively new on the MAC, and as I don't have a MAC myself to test, I'm fumbling a little here.

There is information in the UltraDev documentation about connecting a MAC to an Access database. You could try referring to that for your configuration options and transposing the results over to a PHP connection.

Sorry, that I can't be of much more help.

Tim Green
Webmaster
Replied 23 Jul 2001 11:26:21
23 Jul 2001 11:26:21 nigel morris replied:
Cheers Tim

Currently I can get the new PHP extension to connect to "access" working across a win2000 network. It's seems to work the same as ASP!

But when connecting from a macOS9.1 to a win2000 (local/network) with ultradev I get an error "no suitable driver"

Although using ASP as the Sever Model produces no probelms.

The deployment server is not applicable as long as it supports PHP4 which in this case is win2000 while testing.

Also none for the drivers @ "sun" seem to be mac compatable or friendly to install.

Maybe this is something apple and macromedia could sort out?

laters Nigel

Reply to this topic