Forums

This topic is locked

Dreamweaver and Dreamweaver UltraDev 5 Wish List

Posted 24 May 2001 22:45:02
has voted
24 May 2001 22:45:02 Rob Mitchell posted:
Features I would love to see in the next release of Dreamweaver and Dreamweaver UltraDev.

Edited by - Pinchio on 19 Apr 2002 20:32:49

Replies

Replied 16 Jun 2001 20:37:20
16 Jun 2001 20:37:20 robin caspel replied:
A good shoppingcart
PHP suport

Replied 18 Jun 2001 07:54:08
18 Jun 2001 07:54:08 ANIL MAHADEV replied:
Hi,
Iam a user of Ultradev since its birth of version1.0 and ultradev4.0.

What i would like is to have in UD 5 is a RAD Section of the Software that takes care of the Configuration of Web and Database Servers.

And not to mention of course more powerful server side scripting facilities.

Anil Mahadev

Replied 20 Jun 2001 20:07:25
20 Jun 2001 20:07:25 Tim Green replied:
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
What i would like is to have in UD 5 is a RAD Section of the Software that takes care of the Configuration of Web and Database Servers.
<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size=2 id=quote>

Well we would all like to see an easy 'Auto Configure' option for these, but let's be realistic here, it's not going to happen. How many different web servers are there out there, and how many of them have a standard or customised setup ? How many DBMS are there out there ?

It's just not realistic to expect UD to automatically configure itself for a web server. Just how is it supposed to be done ? It's not as if each server broadcasts that information...... Nice thought though....

Tim Green
Webmaster
www.rawveg.org (Coming Soon)
Replied 20 Jun 2001 20:11:39
20 Jun 2001 20:11:39 Tim Green replied:
This one may sound a little difficult....

What I would really love to see is some way of uniquely stamping each applied server behaviour, so as not to cause confusion between two server similar behaviours.

At present you have to add unneeded code so that UD can distinguish between the two. What I propose is something similar to locked nodes, but solely for server behaviours. This locked node could hold a unique identifier for each server behaviour, along with a timestamp so as to uniquely identify it. This information could then be held in Notes (or something similar) and cross-referenced each time the findServerBehaviors() function is called...

As I said, it isn't really difficult. Or at least it shouldn't be. Locked nodes are already implemented in UD, so it's really just an extension of that principle....

Tim Green
Webmaster
Replied 21 Jun 2001 19:43:42
21 Jun 2001 19:43:42 ANIL MAHADEV replied:

Dear
Tim Green
Webmaster

I have another idea.
Why not have a server side query builder for JSP,ASP,PHP AND COLD FUSION.?

REPLY ON THIS MATTER.

TELL ME WHAT U FEEL

ANIL MAHADEV

Replied 21 Jun 2001 20:05:22
21 Jun 2001 20:05:22 Tim Green replied:
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
I have another idea.
Why not have a server side query builder for JSP,ASP,PHP AND COLD FUSION.?

REPLY ON THIS MATTER.

TELL ME WHAT U FEEL
<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size=2 id=quote>

Looks like I hit a nerve, judging by your judicious use of CAPS. My apologies if that is the case.

Actually I think this idea is quite a good one. I would go one step further with it though, by integrating a Database Management System within the UD UI.

Once configured for a particular Database UD could connect and download the whole schema, allowing you to refer to it or amend it as needed, saving the need for a 3rd party utility, and keeping it all neatly within the UD UI.

Server-side query builders already exist. Look at tools like PHPMyAdmin or PHPPgAdmin. Both of these are quite capable of generating SQL on the fly according to the schema.

Such a system could be set up within UD so that you no longer had to create simple recordsets. UD could do it automagically on the fly.

Tim Green
Webmaster
Replied 22 Jun 2001 01:18:55
22 Jun 2001 01:18:55 Drew Kinney replied:
I would like to see in UD5:

Full ASP 3
Full PHP

The ability to not have to check in dependant files w/o having to select no each time. How about a check box in the dialog that when you say "no: it will remember each time.

Ability to set up a DSN from inside UD.
A Database "inspector".

Edit flash movie "url links" inside UD.

Oh, I could think of many more...maybe later

Edited by - archycarp on 07/20/2001 17:46:01
Replied 22 Jun 2001 01:21:24
22 Jun 2001 01:21:24 Marc Garner replied:
since ultradev we have been moving away from (dare i say it) golive. (there I did say it). We have seen the both sides of the tree and golive is good for design and layout but dynamic link sucks so now we are ultradev hardnuts.
what we would like to see in ultradev is a links display much like that in golive and possible an outline mode like golive - this would add the two features which we most often wish were in ultradev. The in and out links window in golive is great to use and the outline mode of displaying the code is great for speady editing of source elements.
Please, please (if it doesn't break any copyrights)
thanks

Replied 22 Jun 2001 04:17:11
22 Jun 2001 04:17:11 Geuka Amusa replied:
I work in an environment where I support web authors that are using FrontPage. Recently I installed FrontPage XP and one feature that impressed me was that when you had multiple files open, it had tabs across the top of the screen that allowed you to switch between open files very quickly and easily.

I wish that UltraDev would used the tab structure instead of opening up each file in a progressively smaller window. It kinda makes multitasking suck. I hope that I described this one well enough for you to picture it.
Replied 22 Jun 2001 16:39:56
22 Jun 2001 16:39:56 Rob Mitchell replied:
Very good feature list here. I'm glad I started this discussion.

I would also like to see better INTELLIGENT CODE HELPER "INTELLIHANCE". Which will drop down properties of objects when you are coding much like VB.

Keep the features or enhancement idea comming and maybe someone from Macromedia UltraDev 5 Team will see this.

Cheers, Rob

Replied 22 Jun 2001 21:19:43
22 Jun 2001 21:19:43 Tim Green replied:
I would also like to see better INTELLIGENT CODE HELPER "INTELLIHANCE". Which will drop down properties of objects when you are coding much like VB.

I take it by Intellihance you mean code insight ? Much in the same way the Homesite has. I've noticed that to a minor degree that support already exists, but only when you are editing a single tag while in design mode, using the Code Explorer window. I must admit that I would like to see this feature too, not just for HTML tags but for all supported scripting languages, including JS....

Tim Green
Webmaster
Replied 25 Jun 2001 15:02:20
25 Jun 2001 15:02:20 marco romeny replied:
as I've always wanted: support for writing extensions in java, or rather - LiveConnect - for the MM JS-engine. why not even have the JS/Java-engine pluggable.
On the extensions: A DB-manager would also be great, as would a web-app editor (modify and create a .war-file within the editor).
Using XML as a datasource and make DW/UD-templates XSL/T-compatible (why aren't they already?)

Edited by - mimecine on 08/03/2001 11:08:13
Replied 27 Jun 2001 15:45:03
27 Jun 2001 15:45:03 Lesley Dean replied:
<font face='Arial'>I would like to be able to double click on the blue bars of the floating palettes to make them "minimize". Mac calls it "Window Shade". Flash and Freehand do it. I think it's called "Zipped Panels".

I would also like to be able to select more than 1 object at a time on a page and edit there common properties in the properties panel and move them together(drag).

I'll definitely think of more ... :-)</font id='Arial'>

-------
LD
Replied 27 Jun 2001 23:27:09
27 Jun 2001 23:27:09 Billie DiNicola replied:
<font face='Trebuchet MS'></font id='Trebuchet MS'>

I wish they would incorporate ColdFusion Studio directly into UD5!

Edited by - bdinicola on 07/19/2001 14:54:35
Replied 28 Jun 2001 01:04:37
28 Jun 2001 01:04:37 Drew Kinney replied:
1) How about the ability to edit site info w/o having to select define sites, then select the site, then select edit.
It couldn't take more clicks, could it?

2) a custom pallete that the user can easily add behaviors, server behaviors, objects, commands etc..
maybe drag and drop from the various pallettes and pulldowns.

3) more later

Drew Kinney
----------------
blatherskite:web & media design
blatherskite.com/

Edited by - archycarp on 07/20/2001 17:46:28
Replied 28 Jun 2001 11:40:29
28 Jun 2001 11:40:29 Jason Stanley replied:
In both previous versions of Ultradev, Recordsets are open far too long. Standard practice amongst more advanced developers is to read recordsets into vbscript or Javascript arrays then close the recordset immediately. The page can then be written from information contained in the array.

This means that the connection to the database is open for the shortest possible time.

When you insert moveto record behaviours do we really need all that code?

Ultradev generates huge amounts of code. It would be good if macromedia could expand the new Connection script method, (in a separate file) to include all generic navigation code as functions. These functions could then be called from each page, minimising the amount of code generated for each page.

Oh yes and ASP 3.0

Replied 28 Jun 2001 23:41:44
28 Jun 2001 23:41:44 Paul Reed replied:
I would like to see a much improved query tool that conforms to SQL-92 standards. Anyone who has used the Tango query builder expects to be able to create multiple-table queries, set up joins, use distinct, sum, max, min, and group by clauses. Also there is a need to omit blank parameters rather than use default values, since this does not work at all with non-text fields. Finally there needs to be the ability to set a comparison to be "case insensitive" without having to add a lot of code manually.

Also, the link builder needs to url-encode all data taken from a recordset.

Replied 29 Jun 2001 06:39:27
29 Jun 2001 06:39:27 Craig Gabbadon replied:
I would like to see the ability to create discussion groups, or something of that sort, right inside of Dreamweaver or Ultradev.

Replied 30 Jun 2001 19:07:38
30 Jun 2001 19:07:38 hatseflats hat replied:
Better CSS support perhaps, that means i will be able to preview more of my css in UD, i will be able to create subclasses and the css modifier can be resized... for starters. Things can ALWAYS get better...

Replied 01 Jul 2001 22:32:00
01 Jul 2001 22:32:00 Bruno Alexandre replied:

I just love that UD5 support a scrolldown with the functions that we could use, just like Homesite give to HTML and Intradev give to ASP.

FULL ASP 3, .NET and PHP support even it it will be as an extension.

Remove the FTP, it sucks, don't try to make all-in-one program, just stick with what you are best, Webprogramming, we (users) will use a free FTP client to update our pages to the server, don't worry with that. (I just do that, even with UD4).

have a search form so when we are connected to the internet we could find a good tutorial about something that we are looking for. To do that, MM have to have a central link page with all the tutorial sites that offers some tutorial, like 4guysfromrolla, udzone, and more, make aXML connection with all that sites, so they (the sites admin/webmasters write to a XML page the subject for that tutorial and MM will take that data to build the results) and UD5 could have a form so that links are updatable from the internet.
Replied 01 Jul 2001 22:32:05
01 Jul 2001 22:32:05 Bruno Alexandre replied:

I just love that UD5 support a scrolldown with the functions that we could use, just like Homesite give to HTML and Intradev give to ASP.

FULL ASP 3, .NET and PHP support even it it will be as an extension.

Remove the FTP, it sucks, don't try to make all-in-one program, just stick with what you are best, Webprogramming, we (users) will use a free FTP client to update our pages to the server, don't worry with that. (I just do that, even with UD4).

have a search form so when we are connected to the internet we could find a good tutorial about something that we are looking for. To do that, MM have to have a central link page with all the tutorial sites that offers some tutorial, like 4guysfromrolla, udzone, and more, make aXML connection with all that sites, so they (the sites admin/webmasters write to a XML page the subject for that tutorial and MM will take that data to build the results) and UD5 could have a form so that links are updatable from the internet.
Replied 02 Jul 2001 14:07:18
02 Jul 2001 14:07:18 Bo Johansen replied:
&lt;table width="99%" border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" align="center" bgcolor="#FFFFFF" height="428"&gt;
&lt;tr&gt;
&lt;td width="r%" height="15" valign="top"&gt;&lt;img src="orig_pic/left_top_hjoerne.gif" width="15" height="15"&gt;&lt;/td&gt;
&lt;td width="r%" height="15" valign="top"&gt;&lt;img src="orig_pic/left_top_vandret.gif" width="30" height="15"&gt;&lt;/td&gt;
&lt;td width="100%" height="15" valign="top" background="orig_pic/top_ramme.gif"&gt;&lt;img src="../../billeder/spacers/15x15.gif" width="15" height="15"&gt;&lt;/td&gt;
&lt;td width="r%" height="15" valign="top"&gt;&lt;img src="orig_pic/right_top_vandret.gif" width="30" height="15"&gt;&lt;/td&gt;
&lt;td width="r%" height="15" valign="top"&gt;&lt;img src="orig_pic/right_top_hjoerne.gif" width="15" height="15"&gt;&lt;/td&gt;
&lt;/tr&gt;
&lt;tr&gt;
&lt;td width="r%" height="30"

Thats is nice clean code

&lt;table width="99%" border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" align="center" bgcolor="#FFFFFF" height="428"&gt;
&lt;tr&gt;
&lt;td width="r%" valign="top" height="15"&gt;&lt;img src="orig_pic/left_top_hjoerne.gif" width="15" height="15"&gt;&lt;/td&gt;
&lt;td height="15" valign="top" width="r%" &gt;&lt;img src="orig_pic/left_top_vandret.gif" width="30" height="15"&gt;&lt;/td&gt;
&lt;td height="15" valign="top" background="orig_pic/top_ramme.gif" width="100%"&gt;&lt;img src="../../billeder/spacers/15x15.gif" width="15" height="15"&gt;&lt;/td&gt;
&lt;td height="15" valign="top" width="r%" &gt;&lt;img src="orig_pic/right_top_vandret.gif" width="30" height="15"&gt;&lt;/td&gt;
&lt;td width="r%" height="15" valign="top"&gt;&lt;img src="orig_pic/right_top_hjoerne.gif" width="15" height="15"&gt;&lt;/td&gt;
&lt;/tr&gt;
&lt;tr&gt;
&lt;td width="r%" height="30"

Messy code UD generated code (

I wish they would do something about that.

Replied 05 Jul 2001 13:32:50
05 Jul 2001 13:32:50 matt rushton replied:
i'd like to see:

control of remote permissions when using FTP

code prompting like in VB

overhaul how the templates work so that it is easier to create links to files not yet created

improve the cleanup word html, it doesnt work properly with XP

Replied 06 Jul 2001 14:25:05
06 Jul 2001 14:25:05 Andreas Clemann replied:
PHP - support with good examples to database access. Learning steps to php.

Edited by - clemann on 08/06/2001 14:14:23
Replied 16 Jul 2001 18:42:18
16 Jul 2001 18:42:18 Jacques Rhéaume replied:
[I would love to have this feature. I'm in the same position!]

If you have run a development shop which consists of a development server and a staging/test server and a production server you would have come accross this publishing nightmare:

When I'm finished developing a section of code or page and would like to promote to my staging server I have to goto windows explorer copy the file from the dev server and paste it into the appropriate folder on the staging server. I have to repeat the same procedure for promoting from stage server to production server. A process which becomes very combersome if I have files all over the place that need to be published onto a different server.

What I would like would be a "Publish To" option which will open a window of sorts and allow you to specify which files I would like to publish and to what server (location--&gt; remote or local) I would like to publish them to. The folder structure would be recursive and place all published files into their respective remote folders.

Anyone elese think this would be awsome?

Please bring this dream into fruition Macromedia UD team.

Edited by - pinchio on 06/01/2001 17:27:28

Edited by - SandanR on 18 Dec 2001 10:55:51

Reply to this topic